Home Theatre System--Yamaha /Onyko/Sony/Panasonic

Anonymous
I am shopping for a home theatre system. The following systems are being considered. Onkyo HTS 760, Sony DAV FC8, Yamaha YHT 440, Panasonic SCHT 900. What's the consensus as to the best brand name? Tech support? Repair record? Sound Quality? etc.

Anonymous
I only know that panasonic have the worst subwoofer bass i ever heard of...

Anonymous
I don't know about the panasonic. But I did audition the sony and wasn't that impressed. The yamaha was equally unimpressive, at least as far as bass response was concerned. I could hardly tell the sub was working.

I when with the Onkyo for a few reasons...

1-Bass. This unit has what it takes to move air. It's only an 8" driver so it works well within limits, but it does its job well.

2-Brand name. I though Onkyo was well outside my price range. I was wrong. And I've only heard good things about Onkyo (unlike Sony).

3-Price. Under $500? That's just sick. MC Hammer's "Can't touch this" was well ahead of its time as it was refering to the value of the 760 (LOL).

Do yourself a favour and go for the Onkyo. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Anonymous

Actually the panasonic's bass isn't that bad, you just need to know how to turn it up. When playing music, the only option allowed to adjust the sub is the "sub level" button, adjustable from 1-4 i think. Even put on 4, it is wimpy to say the best. In order to get more bass, you need to play a DVD with a subwoofer channel, then adjust the sub channel's volume to +6 (without the dvd, this adjustment is not available). Then you play music, the "SW channel" volume will stay +6 AND with "sub level" set on 4, you get the most bass, which sounds a whole lot cleaner than many systems.

Username: Brandon

Post Number: 5
I have listened to several systems and the Onkyo 760 sounded the best. I have been looking to spend upwards of 1500 bucks on a system but so far it has sounded better than anything else on the market in that price range. I think its a great value for the money.

Username: Johnnyness

Post Number: 18
I bought the Onkyo 760 for my inlaws and it sounds excellent for the money. I was really impressed by the sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us