Are they worth $500 more

alan
I'm in the process of buying my first a/v reciever,it will be used 50/50 for music and dvd's after reading all the reveiws I could find
lots of good one's here,I have 2 choose from Marantz and Nad.Here's my problem Marantz SR5300 and Nad T752 both priced NZD$1499,Marantz SR4300 $999, are the other 2 worth the extra $500 or should I put the $500 towards speakers.
Thanks for any help.

Hawk
alan:

They are worth the extra $500. There is a quantum jump in performance between the SR4300 and the SR5300, in terms of signal/noise ratio, deliverable power (real power, not what the maker says that it is), lower distortion, etc. And this is a noticeable jump in performance, as well, not just a theoretical one. We had a discussion on this very subject about a month ago and I made the mistake of suggesting that the 12 db improvement in the signal to noise ratio of the 5300 over the 4300 was a four fold improvement. Well, the sharp eyed contributors to this board quickly pointed out that the improvement actually worked out to more than 20 times, not four! Additionally, we have had quite a few posts from SR4300 owners who were unhappy that their receiver didn't put out enough power. I like the SR4300, but only for people who have very small budgets and cannot afford anything more expensive.

There is also another quantum leap between the Marantz SR5300 to the NAD T752. Here in the USA, the T752 is price matched to the Marantz SR7300 which also has performance that approaches that of the NAD T752, but even then the Marantz just falls short. The NAD T752 has far more power and clarity than the SR5300. If you can get them both for the same amount of money, it is really a "no-brainer." Get the NAD.

So, yes, the two more expensive models are worth the $500 increase in price. You will notice it more in the receivers than you would investing the extra cash into speakers as the signal from a 4300 would not be good enough to notice the improvement in the speakers.

alan
Hawk
Thanks for the reply,now I know what to get.When I go to buy the Nad from the audio shop,If I check the software version by pressing the video and audio buttons, what version should I see,If not the right one should I demand that the latest version be installed before I take it from the shop.thank you your've been a great help.

I have tried all the receivers that are brought up here on this thread, my speakers consist of Monitor Audio Bronze 4,2 Center and a Velodyne SPL 1000 as a Subwoofer. The Nad is without question a very respectable product and is without question the hands down winner for a music only system. When however it comes to Movie sound it may be a little too laid back in timbre. It just does not add the excitement and energy that some receivers give. The Elite is actually a very good compromise for music and movies. ( a good choice indeed. The Denon however in my system was as stated DRy and lifeless, not very emotional, just artificial sounding. Again, as some of you have noted from speaker to speaker we may be hearing different timbres altogether. Let me throw a curve ball to everyone here and have (if you have the Chance) you guys audition the new Harman Kardon AVR-630 which price wise is very competitive. I currently own this piece and can honestly tell you, through owning almost 8 different receivers that this thing is a treat. It has 90% of the NAD music sound but it's the movie sound that's killer. I think it's the new Cirrus Logic CS49400 chip that is the secret here. This same chip is found on high end processors such as the likes of Rotels top of the line preamp.

To sum:

Nad T762.... Good choice, best for Music die hards, Reliability issues may still be downside.

Denon AVR-3803.... a tweakers delight, not very involving, built like a tank. Too dry..Can drive anything out there.

Pioneer VSX45.... Not too shabby at all. Excellent comprimise, for music and movies.

Harmon Kardom AVR-630... An underdog, but try it and see for yourself. Also built like a tank. Has however had past reliablitiy problems.

Thanks guys...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us