Depth issues: Narrow reciever suggestion for 2.0 music TV setup....

Username: Jwh6f

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I recently built a TV stand out of hardwood, and being a audio initiate, I made a large oversight of making it too narrow. I planned on putting a home theater am or two channel amp in a cabineted area below my satellite box, but I made this area only 12.5 inches deep. I planned on opening it when I wanted to use the reciever or floor speakers, giving me the option of using the TV for regular viewing. Most amps are deep and tall!

I want a system that:

...is two channel (ok if the amp drives more channels that I won't use but I really only want to channels.

...drives two floorstanding polks, klipsh, or JBLs. I don't need HUGE volumes, as I am not a headbanger, and I will be doing a lot of late night listening/classical/piano at low volumes. That said, I would like it to fill my 25 foot long room, if need be. Soundstage, dynamics, and clarity for TV and music is more important than volume and thump.

...integrates into TV and blue ray player fairly well. I would like to play mp3s over the TV with my remote, via a usb drive.

I recently saw the Harmon Kardon BDS 2.1 series of amps.

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=BDS%202 %20SO/120

They are narrow and small. However, I have some questions:

1. Will this amp drive floorstanding speakers? (stereo mode: 65 watts per channel, 20Hz – 20kHz, @ <0.1% THD, both
channels driven into 6 ohms)

2. Do the floorstanding speakers have to have a certain ohm (higher or lower) rating without overheating or being a problem? Or can I be flexible with that? I am not knowledgeable, and I wish they simply made all floorstanding speakers to work with any amp, but some posts have made me wonder if I could make another mistake. I planned on buying floorstanding speakers used, as many great options are available.

3. Does anyone have any other ideas for how to build this system into my poorly designed, narrow cabinet? Any other narrow amps or solutions that may work?

Thanks,

Jay
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us