Car subs with home theater??

Username: Joe_f

Post Number: 1
Ok, I am scrapping my old car audio system and was wondering if it were possible to use the subs from the car and hook them up to an in-home audio setup? For convenience sake, I'll say that I already have a legitimate home receiver, speakers, sub amplifier, but no sub.

Is it possible just to hook the car subs up to the home theater? Or (I'm assuming) are there drawbacks and precautions that should be taken before even attempting this?

Anyone that knows anything of the sort please help! Thanks a lot.

-Joe

johnm
Unregistered guest
What are you going to use to power the sub?
Remember car audio speakers usually have a very low impedance rating, meaning you can burn out a home receiver or amp that doesn't handle that ohm load.
Also, your sub enclosure is important. You'll probably want some type of bandpass box.

Post Number: 2
I am using a MA-1A sub amplifier.

I have been warned before about the ohm load. Is there any way to possibly lower the ohm output by the sub to make it more "home entertainment" friendly?

And, the enclosure should be fine, the box is pretty nice.

Thanks again,
-Joe

johnm
Unregistered guest
If you want to do is actually "raise" the ohm load. You can do this by either running an in-line resistor along the speaker wire (not sure really what this will do to the sound) or better yet if your using two subs and want to double the ohm load you can run them in series. That is running speaker line from amplifier+ to sub1+, sub1- to sub2+, sub2- back to amplifier-. You lose some db this way since your now powering 2 subs but the impedance load is safe.

Post Number: 3
Thanks a ton john, I will give that a shot. Really appreciate all your help, will let you know how it goes =)

-Joe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us