Surge protector question

Username: Doony

Post Number: 1
My home theater includes Samsung DLP tv, Sony DVD player, and Kenwood reciever and surround sound. Do I really need a fancy Moster surge protector? How much of a difference will it make in protecting my equipment, and audio/video quality from the input filtering? Thanks a lot.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 32
Monster surge protector?

I think the law of diminishing returns applies here. While the filtering may minutely improve the sound, you are paying an awful lot to get whatever miniscule improvement there may be.

Personally, I think you would be fine with a good quality surge protector made for audio/video setups. I got mine at Menard's for about 35.00, and it has surge protect for phone line, sat/cable, and all electrical items and it has a higher joule rating than the monster which should indicate that it has a higher protection factor.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 514
Chris,
If you have an Interstate Battery store nearby they sell a great surge protector by Intermatic that retails for $21.00 that is the equal or better of any that I have seen for $100 or so. It has a joule rating of 2800 and a clamping voltage rating of 300, which is as good as it gets. It's a heavy duty, 7 outlet protector and at the price a real steal.

Username: Doony

Post Number: 2
Thanks a lot guys, that's just the information I needed to hear. This site is awesome.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us