Help with Onkyo HT-S770 Surrounds.

Username: Sabes35

Post Number: 7
I've had the Onkyo HT-S770 for about 2 weeks now. Im very pleased with it, except that the surrounds seem to low or something. Just doesn't seem like they are performing as they should be. Does anyone have any suggestions? I adjusted the speaker volume in the Onkyo settings, so that the 2 surroudns and the back channel were 1 point louder, but it still doesnt seem ideal. I've also replaced all the manyfacturer's wire with 16 gauge monster wire.

It's_me
Unregistered guest
You also have to program speaker distances. I would reccomend buying/borrowing a Sound Level meter and a calibration DVD. This will make it sound a lot better.

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the advice. I did program the speaker distances (fronts close, and rears further away) to try to get the surround speakers sounding better, but it still doesnt have great quality sound. BTW, is there anything wrong with fooling with the speaker distances and volumes, like could it mess up the speakers?

Im still not sure what my problem is, could it be a loose connection or something (I do hate the way this system connects its speakers), or would the entire speaker not work if that were the case? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

THANKS!

dlep
Unregistered guest
I have the 760 and really enjoy it although my rears were very quiet when I first got it. I had some long runs so I had to get new speaker wire. Got some of the 14g from Home Depot and that helped the volume level. I have the center back surround set at +8 and the sides at +10. The left and right fronts are set at -2 and the center is at 0. This seems to have balanced the sound although one of these days I am going to get a sound meter to see how close my ears are calibrated!

guy again
Unregistered guest
wow, i just posted a minute ago about this, i have the same problem, but only on Digital Surround, on analog everything sounds cool, but once i set it to Dolby Digital, all the sound drops out of the center speaker and peoples voices are barely audible. i really wanna know how to fix this, i feel like ive tried everything. please lemmie know.

Nikhil
Unregistered guest
Hi guys,
Does anybody feel that the HT-S770 is lacking the desired treble level? The system is great with high bass output, however, somehow I don't hear the crispness in the sound. The treble setting is not as good as I had expected it to be. There are lot of audio modes available and also bass and db settings, I wish something can be done to increase the treble. (I tried keeping the treble to +12, but reducing the bass to -12 does not do justice to the output) I have kept the subwoofer knob at medium position which gives enough throb. Can somebody help me with guidelines as to how i could increase treble keeping the bass and sub settings at average levels?

My another concern is about the front speakers. When I listen to them closely, the sound is sooooo feeble that it breaks inbetween. Only the center speaker seems to be strong at most modes. Does 130W output really go to each of these speakers? I changed the wires to 14 gauge, but no difference at all!!!

I am beginning to think that this HT is good only for dolby movies and not for music cds at all. What do you guys think?

Many thanks.

PM
Unregistered guest
You may have to go through a "break in" period with these speakers. Also you may have to go through the setup (distance,volume) again to balance the channels out....

Username: Mp906

Post Number: 7
Just got mine tonight. Listened to CD's (rock), and watched Blackhawk Down.

Sounds fraking great!

I have the rears set @ +4, sounds good.

Unregistered guest
hi!

is it possible to use PL2x on a dolby d format dvd? mine only has stereo and dolby d options, am i missing some set-up/config?
any help is greatly appreciated!! thanks!

Username: Noob

Post Number: 2
I just posted the subsequent message in the Surround Sound section of the forums but it seems to me that this section gets more traffic. I'm sorry if posting my message on two different sections is considered spamming. If so, let me know and I will promptly remove one - I assume there's an edit post option.

Previous Post - Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased the Onkyo HTS770 and, as of yet, I'm extremely impressed and satisfied.

Now here comes the (presumably) newbie question/dilemma:

Unfortunately, I'm currently using my Xbox for my DVD player (don't ask) but the Xbox boasts Dolby Digital in both games and movies. Ok, now, in the "Source/listening mode indicators" section of the receiver, it indicates that PCM is in use. After hitting "Display" a message reading "PCM fs 48 khz" appears. After reading the manual, several times, it seems to me that the receiver should be detecting (automatically) what type of audio is being used... or... that is to say... how the DVD is encoded? I don't know. Additionally, according to the manual when I hit "Display" a menu including the signal format or sampling frequency such as "Dolby Digital 3/2.1 or 3/3.1" should pop up. Instead I get the "PCM fs 48 khz" message. I assume the 48 khz is the sampling frequency and I understand that the receiver is recognizing the format as PCM, but why? If the DVDs and games use Dolby Digital technology, why am I not getting the "Dolby D" signal format? Furthermore, why is the sampling frequency 48 instead of 96? I am using an optical hookup from the Xbox High Definition kit to the receiver... I'm entirely lost.

Oh, also, if the receiver is detecting the signal format in PCM, is it truly surround sound? That is to say, is PCM capable of creating surround sound? That really didn't clear anything up... sigh.

I apologize for the remedial nature of the question(s), I'm just not sure where else to turn. I appreciate your time and thank you in advance for your help (whomever 'you' may be).

Post Number: 10
Mike C. I have a PS 2 but I think the situation is similar. On the PS 2, for DVDs, I can get DTS and Dolby activiated (as confirmed by the display on the S770 you mentioned). But to do this, I had to inable DTS and Dolby on the menu portion of the PS 2 DVD screen. Perhaps X box has something similar. As to games, I too get the same PCM reading, which I believe, is all you can get on PS 2 games . . . as it doesn't encode itself, but sends that PCM signal to the reciever, which incodes the Pro Logic . . . thus during PS 2 games it reads PCM in the middle, and PL2X at the top. I assume this is the best it can get on games.

jigs2
Unregistered guest
Mike,

My guess is that something needs to be configured on the Xbox to enable it to ouput the dolby digtal signal. I had the same behavior on my PS2 until I corrected some settings in the DVD menu (in my case it actually had to be done with a DVD inserted). Check out your Xbox manual and see what you need to do - I don't own one so I can't help with the specifics.

Username: Noob

Post Number: 4
Wow; John and Jigs, thank you very much - I'll be sure to check that ASAP. I greatly appreciate your timely answers. Thank you both.

DrumDude
Unregistered guest
I have a similiar problem. I am not getting center dialogue, the reciever just reads the signal from my PC digital out as PCM. I have everything setup correctly but cant get the reciever to pick up the signal as DD or DTS. When I hook a regular DVD player up I have no problem. My sound card is Audigy 2 hooked up to reciever with the mono mini plug adapted to digital coax cable. Im also hooked up analog to multichannel out. Both ways do not generate the appropriate signal read. Also in analog my games are not getting subwoofer. I am so close to taking the 770's back, This system is awsome so Im praying someone has a fix to this. Ive spent a week reading forums and posting but noone seems to have the real answer. I havent even gotten anyone to confirm that their system IS reading a digital signal correctly from a digital signal other than a stand alone DVD player. Well heres me crossing my fingers again.....

jigs2
Unregistered guest
drum,
Sorry, I can't really give any recommendations. I've only setup the digital signal with my PS2 as that is the only capable device I have. It seems unlikely it is the receiver's fault though if it can recognize the signal from your DVD player. But, I guess you never know.
For the alalog games not getting subwoofer ... what output mode are you using? Sounds like you've done your research, but just in case - some modes do not use the subwoofer.

Unregistered guest
Hey Folks, hope someone can help me. I'm trying to set this system up with my cable box going into the analog video2 inputs. I'm using the composite Montor Out jack into the TV and getting absolutely no signal through the television or speakers connected to the S770. I'm totally lost.

Unregistered guest
I am having the same problem with my PS2 hook up. I get Dolby digital from DVD movie discs, but not on the Games (display keeps reading PCM 48) Can anyone expand on how they got the PS2 DOlby Digital signal to work? I have checked all of my PS2 settings and DTS and digital are enabled.

Thanks!

IndianBuckeye
Unregistered guest
kirk - when you are not getting any video for the cable box, did you try pressing the video 2 button ?
i got a 770S last night and when hooking it up,had the same problem having the PS2 connected to video3. Looks like the receiver does not transmit the video signal until you choose the component (dvd, video1, video 2..etc)
hope this helps.

FrustratedEaglesFan
Unregistered guest
Question - can anyone help me figure out how to get the subwoofer to work--any special tricks or configuration requirements? Hope to hear back before the Super Bowl

Thanks!!!

AVAP
Unregistered guest
I am planning to buy a HTIB for my 13x13 den and am considering the following: Onkyo HT 760 or 770, Yamaha YHT-150 or the Denon 485 XP. It seems that many people are passionate about the 770 (in spite of some problems such as excessive receiver heat and the center, surround speakers or subwoofer not performing as expected) and the Yamaha was highly rated by CR in their Nov 04 issue. I have a Denon 3802 in my family room that seems to have lots of flexibility and has performed well. I plan to use this system for viewing TV and movies and listening to CDs and Directv music channels. In a room the size of my den, which system is likely to produce the most satisfying results (ie, quality performance with no significant or recurring problems)? I am also challenged with speaker placement. My TV (a Sony HDTV with HDMI connectivity) is recessed about 2 feet into a larger unit with bookcases on either side (the bookcases are about 16 inches in front of and on either side the TV). The total span of the entire unit is about 10 feet. The center channel speaker can only be placed directly below the TV while the front speakers have to be placed somewhere on the 3-foot wide bookcases on either side 4-foot center opening where the TV is located. The TV also sits up higher than normal at about 5 -6 feet above the floor. What height is recommended for front speakers in this situation? I have a couple of options regarding the 3 surround speakers. I can either mount them on stands, on the wall or at the ceiling. If mounted on the wall, how far below the 9-foot ceiling should they be placed for optimal performance? Finally, as previously noted, my TV has HDMI connectivity. Should this be factored into the receiver I buy? I do like the idea of spending no more than $400-$500 (excluding cables) for a reliable, quality system. Your comments will be most welcome. /AVAP

@%^&*@!HJFGHJD
Unregistered guest
A possible solution (for the center speaker problem):

I also had a problem hearing dialogue through the center speaker while playing DVD movies on my PC. I have analog speakers. I tried everything. One thing I had to make sure of was to press the "matrix" button (I don't know exactly what it does) on my speakers so that the center speaker was on. Then I tried turning up the center speaker volume. In fact, if I used the software that came with my speakers, I could verify that everything was working fine. Still, the DVD center speaker output (I used "Ocean's Twelve") was dismal or nonexistent. So, after about an hour troubleshooting everything else software-wise, I finally came to a checkbox in WinDVD Platinum (in the audio settings, duh) that read "External Pro Logic Processor". I checked it, and, miraculously, the center speaker worked fine, as did everything else. That's the difference a little checkbox will do.

Basically, make sure everything is set to 5.1 surround or whatever, make sure everything's on, make sure your "matrix" button (or its equivalent) is toggled to the correct setting, and try the option for "External Pro Logic Processor" or its equivalent in your software.

Srini868
Unregistered guest
I have the ht-s770. I got a monster fibre optic cable and connected the receiver to a dvd player. If i play a DVD, i am not able to select anything else but the following surround modes.

1. PIIX Movie
2. PIIX Music
3. DTS Neo Movie
4. DTS Neo Music

I am not able to get the option of DD or DTS.

Please help.

Username: Mik_mo

Post Number: 8
In response to Jackomo's question about Dolby Digital on movies but not on games...PS2 can not broadcast Dolby Digital on games....I believe it only does it on the cutscenes....not during the gameplay. I believe X-Box turns out DD all the way, even during gameplay. I hope this is something Sony corrects with the PS3.

Usman_Denver
Unregistered guest
Srini, hit the "display" button on your 770 remote. That will tell you which audio signal the DVD player is sending out. If it is DD or DTS, hitting "surround" button should let you choose it.

By the way, the 770 automatically detects the incoming signal and switches to it, so if you are unable to select DD or DTS, then the DVD player is not sending that out. It would help to go through the audio output settings of your DVD player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us