Can someone enlighten me on the different Dolbys?

Username: Redrhino

Post Number: 3
On my reciever it says Dolby Surrround Pro Logic. Does anyone know what this means? I have also heard of Dolby Digital and other Dolbys. Is there a difference between all of them? If so, can you explain it to me?

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 28
Here is the readers digest version. Consult Dolby.com for more extensive info........

Originally there was Dolby Stereo, which sounded pretty good through 2 channels.

Dolby 3-stereo came next. It added a center channel in-between the left and right. The center anchored the dialogue to the screen and the left and right channels handled the effects.

Then Dolby, inc. introduced "Prologic" it was a matrixed system the derived the center channel and mono rear surround channel from the source. It is an analog system. This is the system that your receiver uses. Prologic systems that do not have a center channel (2 fronts l + r, and 2 rears in mono) are said to operate in "phantom" mode.

Prologic II (or IIx now) gives five separate channels which is derived or matrixed from a 2 channel analoge source. It is definitely better than prologic but not as good as dolby digital.

Dolby Digital is exactly that, namely digital. It is not an analog left right stereo with matrixed information encoded on the analoge track, but rather 5 discrete channels of information along with a separate channel for the low frequency effects (the .1 channel) This allows for greater separation than the prologic or prologic II.

Hope that helps.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
here's a start ;

http://www.axiomaudio.com/dolbyprologicII.html

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
more:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/beforeyoubuy/a/surroundsound.htm

Username: Redrhino

Post Number: 5
Okay I understand that my dolby prologic surround system isn't the best, but can I at least hook up and work a powered subwoofer to it? Thanks.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Stephen the answer is in your owner's manual. If you read it thoroughly you will learn some amazing things.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us