Getting separate speakers with the onkyo 770.........

Username: Sleepingbag

Clarks Summit, Pa

Post Number: 1
Ive heard many complaints about poorly built speakers that come with the 770(especially poor subwoofer sound quality). Ive been looking into getting different speakers. the best onkyo speakers ive seen (for the price) is the SKS-HT240 (349$).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku= 325891&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

Also....... What model is the reciever that comes with the 770? It looks like the TX-SR502 with different outputs. If its an exclusive model for the 770 then it would be great if someone could suggest a receiver. I have about 600 dollors to spend........

Thanks for any help!

sleepingbag

Bronze Member
Username: Matthew2582

Raymore, MO United States

Post Number: 26
The 502 would be good with the 240's but the Denon 1804 would be even better. Also the very slim Panasonic XR50 sounds very pleasant

Clarks Summit, Pa

Post Number: 7
I'll look into them,

Thanks alot!

Clarks Summit, Pa

Post Number: 8
Instead of the 502, i think im ging with a yamaha htr 5740. Its only $250 and 100W/Ch!I like the onkyo 240's but they're hard to find. So ill keep looking. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR-5740.htm#

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Hi Evan

Yes this Yammy looks pretty sweet in terms of functions and design - but the days when Yamaha was a leader in sonic quality seem to have passed. Audition this if cou can next to the 502 and the amazing Denon 1804.

Onkyo have really screwed up the release of the 240 6.1 speaker system - in that - they got all these early reviews and didn't have the inventory to merchandize their dealers. Onkyo tell me that inventory is going out week beginning 7/26

Also check out the Athena Micra6's - which you can hear at Best Buy's newly revamped listening rooms.

Regards

Clarks Summit, Pa

Post Number: 9
Hey Matthew,
You've been alot of help. I just ordered a Yamaha HTR5740 for only $210! I also got a pair of JBL SCS160SI for $284! A total of only $494 - Makes for a great alternative to the onkyo 770. I did like your suggestion of the dennon, but its about $100 more and i did get a good deal on the yamaha.
I had to buy these today because im going away for a week and it would be nice to have by the time i get back(i dont want to have to wait for 240!). Thanks alot for your help. You're awesome,
-evan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Evan - I think you did very well indeed. No doubt about it - the bottom end of the JBL's is wayyyy more dynamic and accurate than the wooly bass of the Onkyo's packaged HT520's. So many people equate "quantity" of bass with quality. Well the 520's produce a lot of "quantity" with that resonant sub-woofer cabinet and the 10" driver - but it isn't "accurate" or clean transient performance.

I have some reservations about the SCS system but they aren't too significant - get the front sats onto stands which are AT LEAST at ear level relative to your listening position. Do fiddle with the center and rear sat calibrations. For example - you may find it preferable to provide a little more juice to the from center sat. And you may also find the front center sat sounds better if placed ON TOP of your tv.

BTW - Monster cables ARE NOT necessary. KMART/Walmart have good quality cables - component, sub and 14 gauge speaker cables at VERY reasonable prices.

And finally - thanks for the kind words.

Matthew
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us