Setting up a large Project, requesting your help.

Username: Kriswitak

San Diego, California

Post Number: 1
Hello all, my name is Kris and I am setting up a friend's home theater system for him and his family. They are not audiophiles by any means, but they do appreciate decent sound. I have been requested by them to pick out parts for what they want to do, and help them install it all.

Although, I know a lot about the parts/hardware that they are going to need, I'm not sure on some things. I will outline what I am not confident in, and then I will then provide a pseudo layout of what I am dealing with so you guys can hopefully understand and provide me with some advice to what I am going to need and what the best form of attack is going to be.

I know how to set up everything through wires/cables/etc. I know how to use receivers for the most part, pending some of the software and options built in.

I have a list of the parts I need, and I am fairly certain that the parts I have picked out are going to be just fine for this family. What I am not sure is if I am going to need to use an Amplifier along with the Receiver, or if the receiver can handle everything we are going to need.

This is where it gets weird. This family does a lot of events out at there house because they have a few acres of land, and they have people over a lot. They want to be able to play music in the living room, on the patio with patio speakers, and out on the yard through some rock speakers.

This is where my first question comes in: Is it possible to have all of these speakers on at the same time. We are talking about at least 4 in the living room (with sub), 2 on the patio, and about 4 rock speakers out on the yard. This is where I'm thinking that I'm going to need to look into use of an Amplifier. The rock speakers are going to have to be routed a good 50 yards from the point of where the receiver is. The patio speakers are already hooked up through outlets on the wall right by the receiver, so that's not an issue.

So not only do they want to be able to play music through all the speakers at the same time, but they also just want to be able to watch movies/tv/games on the TV in the living room without the outside speakers on.

I'm not sure how to go all about this setup. As you can tell, (if my descriptions are clear haha) this is not a standard set-up, and I hope you can understand my seeking of help. I would like to do this right because the family is super nice, and I want to set it up as easy as possible because they are not very technical.

Lastly, I will post links to what I have picked out so far to use with the system.

Receiver
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115272

Rock Speakers Selection
http://alloutdoorspeaker.com/rock_speakers.html#200WATTROCK

Subwoofer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034

I haven't picked out any front speakers yet. There are already 2 speakers in the ceiling that have been installed by a previous owner, and those can act as rear, so I would only need to pick out 2 front speakers. Preferably these would be mounted up by the ceiling because they care about looks, and would not like to really have them stick out.

Any advice in that regard?

I know this is a beast of a post, but I wanted to try and be as clear as I could to bring everyone up to speed.

I would appreciate any input at all, even it only addresses part of the issue. I'm a little in over my head to be honest, but I think that I am over-thinking it a bit.

Thanks,

Kris

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 833
You will need a receiver with zone 2 RCA out puts connected to a multi channel amp. Volume controls between the amp and the speakers so you can control volume or turn the sound all the way down where you don't want it.

Username: Kriswitak

San Diego, California

Post Number: 2
Excellent, this is exactly what I was planning on doing after a bit more research. Any amplifiers that you can recommend Casey? I'm new to the Amp market. I just need something powerful enough to push the 4 rock speakers from about 50 yards away.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 834
There are a lot of good amps on the market but one that may work is a Niles Audio amp SI 1230. It is a 12 channel amp that you can bridge the channels to double the power for 6 speakers. Your 4 rock speakers and a possible other pair in the future. Niles also has volume switches and rock speakers.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_amp.php?prodID=SI-1230&recordID=Multichannel Power Amplifiers&categoryID=System Integration Amplifiers&catcdID=4&prdcdID=FG00737
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us