Where should I start?

Username: Bjsphil

Post Number: 1
I am trying to figure out the best place to start for a better home theater setup in my house. Budget is small so I will probably need to add small pieces at a time over a longer period of time, but I want to do it right. I really do not know much about this stuff so I need a lot of help.

First problem is the living room is not great since it basically is a giant open space with no wall seperating the living room and kitchen. Below is a layout of the living room. Excuse the crude drawing. The sub woofer fits nicely between the entertainment center and the fireplace. The center speaker is tucked behind the TV about 3 feet off the ground. There is enough height to the TV that 1/2 the speaker is still visible. Front left and right speakers sit about 3 feet from the floor in the entertainment center and rear surround speakers are on top of the entertainment center. Entertainment center is about 7 feet high and 9 feet wide and takes up the whole wall. Ceilings are about 25 feet high in the room with windows reaching the ceiling.
application/pdfUpload
1561_001.pdf (16.8 k)

Current equipment:
- Panasonic 42" 1080P Plasma - th-42pz80u
- Sony HT-DDW670 Home Theater in a Box System (There is no way for me to run the rear surround speakers to the back of the room so they sit on top of my entertainment center. I have thought about maybe wireless speakers for the rear to help with this.)
- Playstation 3

I like the TV so I plan on keeping for now but will probably upgrade to a 46" LED at some point in the future and moving the current TV to the kids game room. I have also decided that I will probably move the Sony HTIB to the game room once my system has been upgraded.

We use the PS3 for gaming and for watching Blue Ray, DVD's, NetFlix Instant stream movies, and listen to music via Pandora.

I want it to sound great but I am not sure where to start and what to get. I will probably have about $400 - $500 to spend on the first piece. Rearranging furniture is also an option but the entertainment center can't really go anywhere else.

What do you think?

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 387
Hi there
Well where to start
For one thing Sony htib
Is way below average for sound.
You also must move rear speakers
Try a Denon receiver
1911 check price on amazon
Rears must be behind you or beside you!
And say 5 Boston acoustics
Cs23
With cs225 center
And cs10 sub
Purchased slowly.
Piece by piece
But you must move rears.

Great start .
theaudioguy.ca

To rear where they should be.
Maybe try purplus moulding along baseboard
To conceal wire if you can't hire an installer

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the feedback!

What speaker wire should I use after I get the Denon receiver and will I need different speaker wire after I get the Boston Acoustic speakers?

Wireless speakers are a bad idea for the rear? If so, would that be due to cost or quality?

The Denon receiver you recommended is a 7.1, right? I think I know where I can put the surround speakers in the back after I move them but I'm not sure where I would put 2 more speakers on the side. Does the 7.1 add that much compared to the 5.1?

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 388
Wireless cost no but
due to quality compared to wire
But better then no rears.
I would look into purplus wire moulding
Anyways even a cheaper Denon
1611 will do yes 7.1 .
Try only 5.1 much better no overkill
It's what I use in my room 26x13

I love that you asked about wire
I always use audioquest
Flex 14/2
Crutchfield.com
Sells it even type 2 from audioquest
Is even better . Secret to my installs

Check Spk prices on amazon too.

Take care

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 3
I appreciate all your help!

Should I start with the speakers or the receiver?

Also, I was looking at the Denon 1911 at the big box stores and also found a Denon 791 that seems very similar but is $100 less. I see the 791 is 875 watts and the 1911 is 630 watts but I'm sure there is more differences that explains why the 1911 is more expensive.

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 389
yes your choice on what to buy first.
the 791 is athe same model # exclusive to best buy and or big box stores.
and when looking at wattage look for 7 x whatever invidually rms
not total wattage.
basically 50 watts x5 can drive those bostons.
\
for custom installers and smaller store they use 1911
etc as modell.
the 11 being the year.

vince

Post Number: 4
Hi Vince,

Thanks again for answering all my questions. I need to make my major purchases at Best Buy because I have been saving up my rewards certificates for this puchase forever. I see that best buy doesn't sell the boston acoustics speakers you listed. They have the Klipsch - HD Theater 300 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System with Powered Subwoofer. Are you familiar with these and if so do you have an opionion on their quality? Are their any others sold at best buy that you are aware of that you would recommend?

Thanks again,
Brett

Post Number: 5
What about the Polk Audio - 5.0-Channel Home Theater Speaker System?

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 390
Klikpsh are ok,
let your ears decide,

klipsh with onkyo try then denon,
the higher polks are ok the ts models and higher
they only sell b.a small ones ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts