Home Theater Setup- New Blu-Ray old Receiver

Username: Derekbc

Post Number: 8
Hello all!! I searched through a few posts to try to find the best option for my home theater system and was hoping to get some good input from y'all. Right now, I am sporting:

Vizio 47" GV47LFHDTV LCD TV
Onkyo HT-S770 6.1 surround Receiver and speakers
A Nintendo Wii
A Samsung BD-C6800 Blu-ray Player

So, I want to have my system setup the easiest and most efficient way. But, I want to use the analog outs on my blu-ray player to hook it up to my older non-HDMI receiver.

The way I have it now... I have everything going through the receiver using components for Wii and DVD (regular DVD player... the Samsung is in the mail). I am using optical cables for digital sound from tv to receiver and from DVD player to receiver. When I get my Samsung blu-ray player, from what I have read and seen on the web, I want to use the analog audio to take advantage of the HD sound. SO, I think all I need to do is keep my Wii connected the same, just add the audio outs using RCA cables from the blu-ray player to the receiver and connecting video straight to the tv using HDMI. So, the setup I will have is:

Blu-ray analog outputs to receiver for audio and HDMI to tv for video. Wii connected using components out to receiver and components from receiver to tv. Is this the best setup, or is there a better way to hook this up with the components I have?

Also, if I am playing regular DVDs in the blu-ray player, would it be better to have an optical cable from the Blu-ray to the receiver as well as analog outputs, and switch between the two when playing different movies? Or should I just stick with analog outs? Lots of stuff said, opefully I made sense... basically just want to know best setup with what I've got. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 357
Derek hi,

you've been doing your research!

the way you have it all figured out is what I'm using with bluray out to my older reciever with the 6 rcas from bluray into preouts on reciever.

no seperate optical is needed.
enjoy!

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 9
Thanks Vince. I just wanted a second opinion. So, when I set it up this way, do I need to set the audio to PCM (not Bitstream), right?!? Then setup my speaker settings in the actual player... Boost the bass... and voala?!?

Post Number: 10
Also, since I have a 6.1 system and am only able to hook up 5.1 audio... am I losing that back center speaker? Or will there be sound, just shared sound with the other channels?!

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 359
Derek,
yes lpcm your bluray has only 5.1 out yes you'll lose speaker,
my marantz bluray has 7.1 so with mine you can.or similiar.

let me know sound ok
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us