Passive Subwoofer

Username: Bhcii

Post Number: 1
Hello All, I'm new here and could use some of your help! I have a Denon AVR3808CI reciever, B&W CM1/CM2 front mains, B&W CDN CNTcenter, B&W DS6 sides and B&W CDM 7SE rears.

OK here is the question, I have a Shure Reference Passive Subwoofer HTS 650 SW. This is an awsome subwoofer (or so I have been told...) Denon says I cant use this wonderful sub with my reciever! Can I use a mono block amp to power this sub, without any problems? Example, a MARANTZ 500 MONO AMPLIFIER.

Please make suggestions!
Thanks, Brett

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15059
Welcome to eCoustics Brett!

Yes you can drive your sub with the Marantz using the RCA sub output of your Denon to input of your Marantz.

I did not know that Shure had made a subwoofer!

Do you have a link because I can't found this sub?

Post Number: 2
Hi Plymouth, I have misplaced the manual and have looked on line for a replacement. I'm contacting SHURE to see if they can provide a copy. My understanding is that it was from there commercial series. It was sold for use in clubs and DJ set ups.

Here is a picture of the unit.

Upload

Dimensions are 18"x 23" x 13". Weight is approximate 80lbs. Power handling is 50 to 350 Watts. Speaker is a 12" long through woofer.

I will post more on the unit when and if I get info from SHURE.

Brett

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15071
Brett

OK it make sens!

Go for the Marantz, try it with different low filter on the Denon setup to match with the B&W.

Post Number: 3
Plymouth, I recieved the spec sheet from SHURE. I was wrong on the power rating it peak is 200 watts. Also they called it HTS 50 series Subwoofer....

Here is a link to the spec sheet Its to big a file.
Try the link, I cut and pasted it into a new window and it worked for me.

http://shure.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/27208/1286888093

You my need to sign up with them to get it (its no big deal its just there site).

Thanks, Brett

Recommendations?

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15075
Brett

Ok I founded few info!

The exact model is HTS-50sw made in 1989, be sure that the surround is not dried, you can shoot WD-40 on the membrane and the surround to rehydrate this one but do it outside because you will have bad smell.

The Marantz is good for 180 watts RMS, no problem to use this amp!

You can found the MARANTZ 500 MONO on Ebay for 120$, good price!

Post Number: 4
Plymouth,
Thank you very much for your help! The surround is in perfect condition! Soft to the touch and flexable! I'm going to grab a Marantz 500 off ebay today.

Thanks again.

Brett

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15082
Brett

You are Welcome!

Post Number: 5
I hope Plymouth's assistance with my equipment needs will be helpful to others!

Cheer All,

Brett

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 792
If the sub can only handle 200 watts it may not be so wonderful. Stop jerking around and get a real powered sub.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/search/node/subwoofer

Post Number: 6
Ok, thats your opinion Casey!

For many years speakers were driven with under 100 Watts! 15" and larger, example Cerwin Vega Head 15's (no they were not the clearest or best but they were good for there day). They would shack the roof off! So watts/power doesn't always mean good sound! There are a great many sound systems that only use 1-2 watts (tube amps). They most likely sound even better than my digital system!

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15090
Casey

His solution cost only 120$ then both amp and sub are well balanced to perform well, the Shure sub is also well quoted according to review.

Also a high powered sub goes hidden the great quality of his B&W's.

Post Number: 7
Casey, I'm sorry if my responce sound negitive!

I'm just really confused about all the different things out there! I have read and read! I have talked to people, good friends. They have stories 1, a Velodyne DD-15 over heating. JBL amps burning up just after the 1 year warrenty is up! The SHURE sub and the Marantz MA500 sound to me like a great combination! If I have made a mistake you will see them on Ebay and I'll tell everyone that it didn't work out. Then I will give your suggestion a try! Thank you for your help!

Brett

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 794
Brett I may have started the fracas with my initial wording "stop jerking around". My favorite speaker brand is Paradigm check out the PDR-8.
http://www.paradigm.com/products/paradigm/subwoofer/pdr-series/pdr-8
$279 list price
I usually recommend at least a 10 inch drive but the list price of PDR-10 is $399 so if money is a factor the 8 may do.

Post Number: 8
Plymouth,

I need your help again.... I have connected the Denon from the sub RCA connector to the Marantz nornal input RCA connector. Turned on the subwoofer in the Denon and the power on the amp, nothing! I checked fuses on both the Sub and the Marantz, both are good. any suggestions? No sound from the sub!

Casey please if you can't assist me in this please refrain from comment...Thank you!

Brett

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 801
Casey please if you can't assist me in this please refrain from comment...Thank you!
Your basically telling me to shut up, nice thing to say when I just wanted to help you. I shouldn't but I'll be nice.
There are two RCA sub connectors one for EXT.IN and one for PRE-OUTS make sure you are using the PRE-OUT rca sub connection.

Post Number: 9
Casey, thank you! I really want to make this work! The back of the
Marantz say normal input or invert output. Help please! The instuctions say connect to normal input. And again, sorry it's just you kept telling me to buy something else. This sub works/worked great with my old system/receiver. I really would like to use it with this one! So your help is appreciated!

Brett

Post Number: 10
Casey, The Denon has only the one sub jack on the back.

Thanks again,

Brett

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15260
Hi Brett!

You can use the aux out or line out of your Denon to hook the Marantz.

If it not work try another speaker!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Casey and Plymouth,

Thank you both for all of your help!!!! I contacted Denon and they worked it out! It was an advanced level setting with in the programing! I works GREAT!!!
Thank you both again!

Brett

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15268
Good news!

How is the sound with this amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Plymouth,

Sound is great! Not over powering but full and clear! No feedback or rumbling, just nice clear deep bass!
I ran the system and the amp for 2 hours watching TV, then put on a CD, both sounded very nice!

Thanks,

Brett

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15271
Brett

I'm glad to hear that!

Enjoy it and good listening!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts