Getting 5.1 audio out from TV

Username: Crazylad

Post Number: 2
Hello, I have an internet capable LED TV. I want to be able to take audio out of the TV to a 5.1 receiver and listen to 5.1 audio for those programs that are broadcast/streamed in 5.1 audio.

Can the Optical Digital Audio Out in the TV serve my needs? Please advise.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 329
so are you using the laptop or pc as a source or do you have a cable box?

if you are you can get an decent sound card with hdmi out.

Post Number: 3
Vince, the TV is capable of streaming video directly from Internet. Ex. Netflix, Amazon on Demand.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 338
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-theater/netflix-will-add-1080p-51-channel-surroun d-sound-streaming-to-its-online-video-service-later-in-2010/2641
bluray or xbox with ethernet may do it with a hdmi reciever or seperate cables analog out but not sure confirm in the computer section of this forum.

Post Number: 6
Thank you for your input Vince! If I find a concrete answer to this question, I'll post it in this forum!

Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 6
It should say in the owner's manual. If not, having a digital output on your TV is a good sign. However, you may not want to use your TV as an audio source. Many digital cable boxes and satellite boxes carry 5.1 and many computers do as well. You may have to get a card for the computer though.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 789
It may be possible to get 5.1 from the TV to the receiver from the optical out BUT this is usually used for the internal HD tuner that works with a roof antenna. It may pass the audio signal from the streaming option in the TV bit the streaming audio may not be 5.1, only stereo in most cases. Get a bluray player and enjoy the best audio and video available today. The best movie will not be available in HD and 5.1 from a streaming site as the movie producer do not want to cannibalize there cash cow the DVD and bluray sales.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15086
Crazy Lad

Your TV is able to provide 5.1, go in Audio Menu then set the sound directly without volume control!
The optical is the best way to send the audio signal!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us