Trying to Hook up BIC F12 Powered sub to my Panasonic SC-BT230 HTiB

Username: Factorynick

Post Number: 1
Hi Peoples -

Just bought a Panasonic SC-BT230 HTiB. Overall, I was real happy with it, but wanted a little more bass/more power. The 6.5 inch Kelton sub it comes with isn't powered, so I bought the BIC F-12 powered sub to replace it, which has a couple different inputs on it (1 RCA-looking input LFE dedicated sub input, as well as L/R speaker wire inputs and L/R outputs (to front speakers)). The Panasonic sub is connected to the HTiB's Blu-ray/receiver though it's own custom connection (that clicks into the back) that leads out to the 6.5 inch sub (it's a subwoofer output) and right into the sub's box, you can't remove the wires on the sub like a normal speaker (I'll have to cut the wire to connect the F12 I think.) SO - what I'm thinking I need to do to make this work is cut the subwoofer speaker wire leading from the receiver, install 1 RCA jack onto it, which would plug right into the F12. Any thought on this? Will this work?
Thx!!!! Nick

Here's the stereo I have, as well as the sub:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SC-BT230-Channel-Surround-Entertainment/dp/B0038KLM9W

sub: http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M

Post Number: 2
Ok, so, to answer my own question, yes, you can hook up the F12 to the Panasonic sc-by230. Here's what I did:
-cut the Panasonic sub out wire near where it leads into the sub box. Exposed a centimeter of wire on the pos and neg
-cut a yellow rca chord in half, and exposed the two wires (inner (pos) and outer (neg)
-Connected the panny wires to the rca wires by twisting and insulating with electrical tape.
-Plugged the rca jack of the new 'hybrid' chord into 'Sub In' input on the BIC F12 and powered on.
-WOMP WOMP. Now I have more bass than I could ever need.

Username: Hamishw96

Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 2
Hi nick, just wondering how you got on with doing this because i have the same problem with the same system and wanted to know if the sub or main unit got damaged.

Post Number: 3
Ok, so it worked for a little bit, but the Sub drew so much power from the main unit that the dvd player would shut off. Therefore, I returned the giant awesome sub and am forced to settle with the little sub the system came with. I wouldn't advise hooking an aux sub up to this system since its an all in one. Its good for what it is and fine for a smaller room. One day I'll get a big amp and separate DVD player. Hope this helped.

Username: Hamishw96

Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 3
Thanks nick that clears things up for me a bit and i moved the small supplied sub next to my bed in my bedroom from next to my tv unit ( where i play blurays, xbox etc) and it makes a hell of a difference, my bedroom gets shaken and the bass is so much better when sitting on the bed. Thank you for your time, you saved me a blown up unit and a lot of pondering. I think ill do the same and get a big amp and give the sc-bt230 to the parents.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 409
nick dakmart.com has really cheap denons [1609] for sale just email them for stock.
much better then pana
and sub pre out
input.
what you did earliar wasnt meant for that reciever .[passive only]
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts