External speakers for TV? Hardwood floors and high ceilings = poor audio...

Username: Adrien23

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I have a HDTV that has built-in speakers. My floors are hardwood and I have high ceilings. Obviously, these two factors = sound quality that isn't the best.

Watching TV has become less enjoyable. I am curious whether there might be a solution involving external speakers; not necessarily surround sound, but a speaker on the left and on the right of the TV.

I'm just looking for something simple that will alleviate problems that the acoustical conditions cause.

I have a typical LCD HDTV. It's a Panasonic Viera TV.

The built-in speakers of modern TVs probably are not as good as those with older TVs as manufacturers attempt to miniturize everything. (Besides the HDTV screen of course). But flattening the TV, etc. would in my mind encourage cheaper and thinner speakers.

As an example, I was visiting family and they have a regular TV that's standard definition and the type with the large back (CRT, I believe they are called), and this TV has a built-in stand with speakers that are huge; they have a windscreen filter on them.

I searched Google Images and found a similar setup to what I'm describing in terms of the old style TV and built-in stand with built-in speakers with that stand: http://pcnmac.com/images/tv/farendloveseattotv.JPG

Basically, any simple external speaker solution people would recommend. Is this the right route to go for general audio improvement?

I'm trying to increase the quality of the audio given the less than optimal acoustic conditions.

Thank you for any suggestions you can provide!

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 77
Does your TV have speaker out connections? If not then the only real way you can add external speakers is through a receiver / amp.

Username: Adrien23

Post Number: 2
My specific TV the Panasonic Viera TC-L37G1. It does have speaker out connections.

I am unfortunately visiting and thus out of town (away from my TV)... But looking at the specs online gives me the answers.

It has a digital audio output: 1 (5.1ch).

It has a headphone jack too.

Here's the tech specs page I got the information from:
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Televisions/VIERA-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/Technical-Specification/model.TC-L37G1.T#ts

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 78
That means your only way to move sound to external speakers is through an amp or receiver with optical in.

There are inexpensive options out there like the Phillips HTS3371DF7 unit I just got my daughter for her bedroom.

If you do go that way then you might consider moving up to a Bluray system with a little better quality but the phillips is a decent budget unit.

The other option is to take apart your TV and solder in a couple speaker jacks off the existing internal speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 254
tv speakers sound horrible when compared to typical decent surround sound systems recommended in my previous posts.

next best option for simple installation is a soundbar, read the customer reviews...
http://www.amazon.com/ZVOX-325-High-Performance-Single-Cabinet-Surround/dp/B001LMB79O

or something similiar.

theaudioguy.ca
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us