Would like some help on 5.1 channel layout

Username: Koshka

Post Number: 1
Hi, I want to set up a 5.1 channel theater in my room but the room has a funny shape and thus I cant imagine what the layout should be, Im sorry for the poor image but I have no image software nor the skills to do a blueprint properly, anyways..

-The wall in YELLOW is my closet so using that wall is no option.
-the small RED lines are the power outlets needed for the tv and box obviously.
-BLUE line is a small shelf on witch a speaker could fit in
- The ORANGE line is a part of the ceiling that goes a little bit down, so hanging a speaker there could be easy.

Setting up the sound is my priority but since this is a bedroom I also have to fit in a queen sized bed and 2 small desks, one of which has a pc which should preferably be near the GREEN line wich is the phone line, needed for the ethernet conenction. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 241
hi Koshka
budget?

and from your layout I'm not sure of your layout
do you want small satellite speakers?
or inwalls?

can I get a picture of your room,,
anways you want the center speaker below your display ideally.,,

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/home/speaker_placement.html

speakers are these too big?
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Take-Classic-System-Black/dp/B001202C44

or these
http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Audio-Home-Theater/c4_9_10/p11311/Boston-Acous tics-Horizon-Series-MCS100-MDNT-5.1-Speaker-System/product_info.html

or inwalls on page 3 of enter audio section then homeaudio,then click on home
theater

HT reciever
http://www.dakmart.com/p11034/SLED-DENON-AVR-1709-7.1-SURROUND-RECEIVER-AUTH-DLR -W-WT/product_info.html

hope that helps

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 2
Apologies, I think I wasnt clear enough, I alredy have the system, since it came included with my lcd screen, its samsung HT-TZ222, On the first link you provided, near the bottom are some tips for odd shaped rooms wich is what I was looking for, except i want a more personal opinion because i dont feel the sound is quite right since I have trouble hearing the 2 back speakers, I cant give you a picture of my room right now because my camera is broken but I will try to draw my current setup in the picture, so hopefully you can tell me what you would change. The purple boxes are the speakers, the subwoofer being near the left corner, my viewing position is somewhere along the middle of the bed, I have both back speakers pointing that way but still im not so sure.. any thoughts? sorry again for the lame drawings hehe
Upload

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 242
Wow not a good set up can you move the furniture?

bed at least?

Or lazy boy chair [home theater] on the side and have a new listening position?
say looking at tv straight on and moving left rear speaker behind in left corner high on wall.
thats what I would due ....

My speaker and reciever recomendations later is a major upgrade over samsung

and the sub may have to move...I'll tell you how later.

?

Post Number: 3
Yes I can move any furniture, can you explain a bit further what you are suggesting? I dont think I understood correctly

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 243
yes you must move furniture or bed .

I said chair should be your listening position but I don't think you have room for a leather chair.
But if you do,chair right around the orange line infront of closet facing tv.

Or put bed there basically four feet infront of closet.

unless you wanna reposition your whole setup tv etc. which I don't think you want to..

so reposition bed then

can you point it so you are facing tv screen straight on,,
and can you move left rear speaker on same wall as right speaker on opposite side behind desk and high up on wall?

either way major upgrade to your layout try it then let me know.

Post Number: 4
Yes I can do that, I do have room for a chair, Id have to move the bed someplace else but I dont mind.

Also I wouldnt mind moving the tv. if it means an upgrade from your current suggestion, what did you have in mind?

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 245
not sure why tv is not in the center of that wall is it?

right now I would leave tv along same wall

first I would get a comfortable leather chair that you could use so you can lie and stretch your legs[recliner]
close to where i said to put chair..

move left rear speaker to where I said.

make sure samsung is set up correctly so you can hear rears in the setup menu. speaker set up.. microphone if it has
try a dvd

try these then get back to us let me know

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 5
Its not, because the power outlet is near the corner, but ill get myself a logner pwoer cord and place it in the center in order to try what you said, Ill get back to you, thanks

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 246
If its onwall can you get an electrician for one hour just to install a plug only behind tv so you can hide wires it would look professional
thats only if tv is installed onwall if its not then no matter.

and you do the rest

let me know results
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us