Way to convert analog computer audio to play through digital 5.1 receiver?

Username: Schwars1

Post Number: 1
Let me start by saying I'm fairly new to the whole home theater/audio world and I'm simply trying to make this work. I'd like a quality solution, but am certainly not looking for professional grade anything.

I recently upgraded my receiver (and by upgrade I mean bought a used 5.1 system on Craigslist) and am now having trouble connecting my audio sources. I have a media center PC with analog sound output (a standard 3.5mm green jack only using onboard audio) that I'm trying to connect to the 5.1 receiver. The receiver has a digital coaxial and SPDIF input and I think I need to use that in order for my DVDs and other high quality audio (in 5.1) to come through on all of the speakers. I think I need to convert my analog audio coming out of the computer to the digital coaxial or SPDIF. Can this be done?

I know that I should probably just buy a sound card that has digital out and I'd be done, but I'd need to find a low-profile card and those that have digital are out kind of pricey. If there was a cheap (less than $50) way to do that, I'm all for it - otherwise I'm open to other suggestions.

Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 56
It can be done but it's not cheap and the quality would be iffy at best.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/analog-audio-to-digital-audio-converter.html

The best option would be to get yourself an HDMI video / audio card for the pc.if possible or a new mobo with hdmi / digital audio...

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 216
robert yes I agree best option..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us