Here's what I want // Please tell me if its possible...

Username: Edhgreatone

Post Number: 1
My goal is to setup surround sound. However, I have many specific things I want on the surround sound. Let me give the details on what I have:

-Sony 50' plasma TV
-Dell Inspiron laptop (windows xp)
-Wii (game console)
-Comcast standard cable

I currently have the laptop hooked up through the TV through VGA cord and the audio is being ran from a 3.5mm (i think) cord connected to the audio output of the laptop that splits into an RCA connector just a red and white (audio only) that plugs into the back of the tv. My Wii system just has the standard RCA connectors connected to a separate input into the TV. I have the whole Bluetooth wireless keyboard, mouse, so I'll be able to access it from across the room. On a side note I actually can use my blackberry as a wireless keyboard and mouse which is really cool (but got old quick). Obviously, everything right now works great but I want to upgrade my sound system to a surround sound 5.1 unit. I know my laptop supports 5.1 surround sound because it has an application for it. My question is where do I start? I want a decent surround sound home theatre that can support all of this. My budget around $3-$500 I don't anything insane but want a decent subwoofer and speakers. I originally wanted wireless speakers so I don't have to drag wires across the room but i've heard mixed review on these. So my question on can surround sound systems have 3 different inputs for cable, laptop, and a game console? Is this even possible? I've done tons of searching and most people and running an hdmi cable that streams both audio and I know with my vga cord // rca cords my setup will have to be different. I also have an extra laptop laying around that has HDMI output but really don't want to tie this one up to the TV unless it's an absolute must... I'm not an expert with audio but I am pretty good with technology and setting things up, so please help and give all information, cords I will need, recommended surround sound systems, ect.

Thank you in advance!!!

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 210
hi use this
http://cgi.ebay.ca/VGA-SVGA-to-RCA-Component-Video-Converter-Cable-Adapter_W0QQi temZ270562717360QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3efecb6eb0
then read my system recomendations for your budget.
in the link below.

everything plugged
in to reciever then single hdmi out to tv.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/635855.html

theaudioguy.ca

Username: Edhgreatone

Post Number: 2
thank you for quick reply... I understand what your saying... please clarify a couple things for me... why would I use the receiver as a middle unit to transfer the video to the TV? Is it easier this way? I already have all the video hooked up to the TV and just want to connect the audio to run surround sound. Am I able to use the Red/White RCA audio cables and connect them into the receiver from the laptop? I understand your saying to setup everything into receiver by using that converter cable, and then just 1 connection into TV but then how would you toggle between various things like cable/laptop/wii ect? Would you just do this through the remote on the receiver? Also does that VGA - SVGA - RCA coverter cable does that transfer the video as well? B/c current i'm using my laptops VGA port to transfer the video to the tv's vga input... please clarify, thank you!

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 52
I think you have to consider that many folks here see the receiver as the system core from which all sources should be routed. The problem I have with that is then you have to allways power on the whole system for use as opposed to being able to play the wii without the receiver on.

It really comes down to preference but for me I usually only use the surround system when watching movies or playing immersive games so I would not want to have my receiver sucking electricity to watch CNBC, youtube or 2.5 men reruns.

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 53
I have this unit Sony BDV-E300 in my family room and run everything through the TV first with optical audio out from the TV to the HT.

This system can be bought online new for between $3 and $4 hundred.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 211
the reciever eric converts it for you,,
yes laptop game etc..
certain sound cards 4 your laptop offer digital out.even 5.1 hdmi
for example say you have a dvd hooked up to dvd input,,
the sound and video switches to activity in surround sound mode ,,
by the way hooking up optical from tv to reciever directly does do what robert says but the quality is crap if you compare the two with a decent reciever [denon]
and speakers boston..
quality of video is better through reciever usually by upscaling lower resolution of certain sources

that store in previous post have all kinds.of decent bostons spkers
does that help
yes reciever remote will do this but get a harmony remote to turn on everything at once but laptop.
ITS THE BEST

and later upgrade your tv box to hd.

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 55
VM8444 has valid points and good info but I would disagree with the statement of "quality is crap". The fact is you can only get as good out as you put in regardless of the HT receiver.

Your sources=
Laptop audio is analog and laptop DVD is likely not BD or HD
Wii audio is analog
Cabe TV? likely analog

Your best bang for your bucks @ $350 with BD is the Sony. Aso should you choose to change the cable to route through the receiver as your central unit you can (it does upconvert). You can also move into the wireless rears when you;re ready.

My advise was related to your stated budget to get the most you coud for the $$$ you want to spend. If you want to go higher $$$ then definatly look at the Den, BA's and a 240hz LED while your at it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us