I am an Analog person totally lost in setting up a Digital Receiver and HDTV

Username: Ptfitzy

Post Number: 4
I am replacing my 1980's Yamaha HTR-5140 Receiver with the 5.1 Yamaha HTR-6240. I am so lost. Trying to read the manual for the 6240 makes no sense to me.
All I just want to do is connect my new Sharp Aquos HDTV Model LC-40E67UN and my Sony DVD/CD Player to or through the new Yamaha Receiver. I read the article by Alan Loft saying to start with the DVD Player. My DVD Player has the "S" Jack, but the Sony Manual says if I want to use "Progressive Scan" to use the Red, Blue and Green Jacks they have to be plugged to the "Componet Video In" of the TV. I have AT&T Uverse with a "DVR". Other than 2 AT&T Uverse Jacks connected to my old Receiver, everything else is plugged into my TV.
I'm not sure if I need an HDMI Jack and how many. There is no HDMI Jack on the DVD Player. My Sharp has HDMI Plugs,HD Component, Composite Video and "S" Video jacks..I just need someone to tell me what goes in the Receiver and what goes into the TV. I also planning on using just the 3 Front Speakers.
Then I Have to figure out how to operate the Receiver.
Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1271
Greetings Phil,

To keep this VERY simple everything is connected to the Yamaha receiver first. That would include component (red/green/blue) and digital audio from the DVD player (although I would HIGHLY recommend a non Sony Blu-ray player connected via HDMI, it would make things a bit simpler with a LOT better performance) and HDMI from the U-Verse cable box. Then from the receiver it looks like you would need component and HDMI to the TV as a quick look at your Yamaha doesn't tell me that it up converts to HDMI.

Buy cables from Monoprice or Blue Jeans cable to keep the costs reasonable.

I hope this helps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us