Need new HTIB which will work with old HTIB's embedded wires?

Username: Waukena

Post Number: 1
I have an old LG LH-D6230 HTIB (DVD player & receiver in one) which no longer works, but the 5 small loudspeakers & the subwoofer all still work fine. So I'd like a new system. And I really need to re-use the stereo wire to the loudspeakers, which is 4 ohm (8 ohm to the subwoofer), because the entire bedroom has been wired -- with the wires embedded in the cement-like walls (not drywall), spackled over and painted at great expense when we first bought the HTIB, and the 5 loudspeakers then mounted on the wall. The mains speakers' power output is 20 watt RMS, & the subwoofer's is 40 watts RMS. The system runs on 220-240v. We're no audiophiles, BTW, and the system was adequate for our needs.
Now that the DVD/receiver unit has broken, and we've just bought a large Philips HDTV, I'd like to know if there are HTIB systems where I can re-use the 4 ohm wire (and possibly the mounted speakers) . This time, given the new TV, I'd like the DVD, and receiver if it's separate, to have HDMI ports, upscaling to HD: play Divx & Xvid files (+ mkv, if there's such a unit), preferably have USB thumbdrive input; and it would be nice if the firmware were updateable.
If any of you could recommend specific systems (or receivers if there's no combined system available) that would work within these limitations -- or explain to me what limitations I have to work within -- I would greatly appreciate it. As you can presumably tell, I understand none of this...

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1242
I would think that one of the few options would be a new unit from LG.

Post Number: 2
I may well not understand what I'm talking about, but (unless LG continued to make an identical model, which it does not) I would think that 1) there may well be newer and/or higher-end LG HTIB's that would not work with my wiring, and 2) OTOH, presumably there are some low end HTIB's from other companies that might be useable with my 4 ohm wire, RMS (whatever that is) etc.
It would therefore be very helpful -- if someone knows and could please explain to me -- what product specs (or maximum specs) I have to look through in a potential HTIB to determine whether or not it will work with my existing wiring? E.g., can the mains speakers RMS not be over a certain no.? Does the wattage drawn by the system have to match? I really have no idea and would greatly appreciate all help (including general useable spec guidelines and/or specific HTIB's -- or stand-alone receivers -- that could meet my needs.
Many thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 123
how about this one with your speakers tammy
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR1610-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Connectivity/dp/B002AKKF3U
and in the denon speaker setup menu set them all to small,

not sure what you mean about your speaker wires,,
as long as there is 2 strands for positive and negative your fine

does the sub have one or 2 rca outputs?

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 3
Dear Vince:

Thanks for the specific product reference. I'll have to see if that model is available in 220v, though I do know that they sell Denon around here (albeit usually expensive).

In answer to your questions: all the speaker wire is in fact 2 stranded (thin goldish-colored, if that mattered) but only 4 ohm -- whatever that means -- expert for the wire to the subwoofer, which is 8. The subwoofer has no RCA outputs whatsoever; the speaker wire is the only thing connecting it to the receiver. The back of the subwoofer says "Maximum Power: 80 watts (Program)" and also "Impedance: 8 [something that looks like an upside down U with feet].

The mechanic who recently installed my Philips TV warned me that if I get a new receiver/system, it may well be too powerful for my small speakers and "burn them out", and that they had to somehow be matched to an appropriate -- not too strong -- receiver. If he's right, I'm trying to figure out what my limits are (and what specs are relevant to this) and to find a matching system on the hopeful assumption that such a "weak" system still exists, nly updated to HDMI.

Thanks again! All assistance appreciated as always.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us