After 4 years waiting...

Username: Mcneedy

Philadelphia, Pa USA

Post Number: 1
Need help planning out my soon to be finished basement. It's rectangular 11' x 19' with 7' ceilings. I'm planning on a Samsung Plasma, either 50" or 58". direct viewing distance will be about 10-11' (far wall). I'm using the tv for movies and xbox/ps3. Does anyone think the 58" will be too big? Also, what's the best options for the HT audio? I'm thinking 16g will be good for speaker wire. I wanted to buy an RF remote, but the PS3 wont work because its bluetooth...so unless someone has an answer I'm guessing the equipment won't be behind walls. Thanks!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 114
Too big big nah...
hi 16 g would be aright if you use a decent wire company like audioquest 16/2

anyways about your ht..
budget, inwall, floorstanders, bookshelves what kind and what budget and speaker esthetics are you thinking of?

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1195
Greetings Chris,

I would have never thought so but it can actually be painful if the screen size is too big for the room but I agree with Vince that you should be OK in what you have specified. The general rule of thumb regarding screen size is a minimum of 1.5 and a maximum of 3 times the diagonal screen size. The minimum distance spec would be so you do not actually miss events on the screen and wear your neck out looking from side to side like you are at a tennis match. The max distance spec could obviously be ignored and often is but is there as a guide to when the screen loses the ability to "envelop" the viewer.

A 58 inch screen then would have a minimum distance of 87" (7.25 ft).

Vince is also correct in asking for further details including if this is a dedicated theater room.

The speaker wire debate rages on but if you are concerned with pre-wiring your surround a good 16g CL2 rated (in-wall) wire should do. I would try my best to make the wire raceway accessible (big holes and as few corners as possible) to the extent that the wire could be relatively replaceable (by pulling the existing wire) just in case. I would also pre-wire for 4 surround speakers even if you aren't going to use them all right away.

Going to stores to audition the audio equipment will be the way to start making decisions on that. There are so many options that the first couple of shopping trips could potentially be just to eliminate as many as possible.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
Hey Jim about the wire debate etc,
I just noticed a topic on the reciever forum about this .

Gotta agree with Gavin who swears by his audioquest ..
and hearing a difference when he swapped them .
I do say it matters ,,
I believe a decent cable does matter,
but garbage in garbage out so electronics matter more.

I really noticed a change myself when I swapped my older ultralink cables to my rears with audioquest.

Much more clarity ,
output
so the debate I guess will always go on.
and no I don't work for them and there's other decent cable out there too but they are what I use in most installs and personally not bad bang for the buck.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1239
Greetings Vince,

As you probably saw in the other thread my deal is $120.00 cables with a $150.00 receiver and $50.00 speakers. It makes no sense but that is what the box stores make their money on and I sure would like to see some rationality made of the whole deal.

Total cable cost can be no more 10% of the total system cost!!! That will be my mantra from here on out.

BTW - there is no arguing how easy it is to alter the sound by adding too many exotic metals, including solder or being too cheap about the gauge, the number of strands, or the composition of the copper.

Philadelphia, Pa USA

Post Number: 2
Hey guys thanks for the quick response!
My budget is under consideration. I'm using the room as the primary entertainment, lay around room. Movies, Football, xbox360, PS3 and probably Wii are the toys in the room. I was betting on the Samsung plasma since I don't have outside light issues and the 600 hz doesn't hurt for the games. Unless someone has heard that the Samsung led is a gift from heaven and worth the extra $1000 or so, I'd rather use the $$ towards better sound.

Philadelphia, Pa USA

Post Number: 3
I was initially all about hiding components and systems but the PS3 needs yet another adapter for my Logitech remote to reach with RF and hooking up the Wii would mean having equipment out in front anyway. So I'm thinking TV stand/cabinet and hanging the plasma. It makes sense to have the rear surrounds on the walls facing downwards since my ceilings are low, the center is going in/on the cabinet below the tv. I'm up in the air about standing speakers vs. wall mount for the fronts. I like to listen to music too, will the surround be full enough without standing speakers? It's a small room. Also, what would be best for gaming? I'm trying to meet as much as possible with this one layout, hence the cry for help.

Philadelphia, Pa USA

Post Number: 4
Ok. Now as far as needs...I'd like everything possible to run through the receiver, so I'm guessing plenty of HDMI inputs would be a great start as well as at least one optical input and a couple old fashioned components. I'm using a Verizon Fios DVR (miss my tivo though) for my tv source and using surround for all audio. Any brand recommendations on the receiver? 100 watts per channel should be plenty for a small room I would guess. I'm looking at around $500-700 for the receiver, what are recommendations on speakers? I appreciate the expertise by the way!!! And as far as wires go, I'm all for following the Audioquest advice. Any ideas on the HDMI? I have a monster cable from a while back that should be fine. I also have a few "cheap" HDMIs around.

Philadelphia, Pa USA

Post Number: 5
FINALLY,
I'm planning on hooking everything through a Monster surge protector, think thats enough to keep everything clean? And the 58" plasma will be seen from the side at a closer 5 feet or so...but thats only with the room full...with that in mind, am I better off with the 50"? Can you guys imagine what my HEAD is like with all this running through?
Thanks for keeping me sane everyone!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
chris buddy pal! now 58 inch is fine if your sitting 10ft back .,

are you sitting against the back wall?

then you should go for ceiling speakers as rear
speakers,. or rears high up firing down.

budget for speakers?

boston acoustics are inexpensive and sound great with denon., as wall mounts and floorstanders for cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-2309CI-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B001BKR920

Boston Acoustics CS 226 Floorstanders
Boston Acoustics CS 226 Bookshelf Speakers

price good chris?

Audioquest Type 2 wire for fronts

Aq rears flex 16/2

your hdmi cables and your monster power surge are fine.
there are many brands that are good...but like aq wire
ba are best bang for the buck speakers.
if the spk above cost too much then these will do then.
I don't know your budget

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-RC-Micro-Surround-Speaker-System/dp/B001RQ2CXO

and last thing for waf [wife acceptance factor]
these orb spk's on this page matched with marantz nr 1501 reciever and oppo bluray sound fantastic too.
Please let us know how it turns out .

thanks chris
vince
theaudioguy.ca

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 985
I gotta chime in here.
First, I would not buy Monster anything. I don't like there business ethic and so don't care if there stuff is good or bad. Panamax and others work fine and don't support Noel Lee.

Are you doing a short wall setup? That is, the TV will go on the 11' wall? If so, you will be sitting a reasonable distance away but not with your back against the wall, where you can end up with bass problems.

Cables / interconnects / wires in general are one of the hottest topics in audio /HT. Blood is spilt over these arguments. AQ can be expensive. Try Blue Jeans Cable or others for ALL cable needs.

Try to hear the electronics as a package before buying stuff a part at a time. Keep in mind that HT receivers don't like low impedance speakers.....so called '4 ohm'. Also, there is another measure called 'sensitivity' which measures how much loudness you get for a given input. Higher numbers here generally mean you don't need a gigantic amp to run them. Anything in the 91db or 92db ++ range should be ok. Any below say.....88db will start taxing the receiver and if you like it LOUD, will really heat it up.

I'll go with the OPPO as probably the only disk player you'll need. The exception would be if you go very high end......$$$$.....than you'd want a CD only player.

Keep your electronics well ventilated, too.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 767
My two cents, Paradigm Studio 20's for the front L&R center CC590. If you want in ceiling speakers the Paradigm SA -15r will do nicely. Definitive Technology Super Cube II for the sub woofer. Denon AVR 4310 would not be a mistake for the receiver. There are many receivers and speaker set ups that can fill he bill. As far as cables go I think Blue Jean cable or Mono Price would be a better bang for the buck as opposed to some name brand expensive cable.

Philadelphia, Pa USA

Post Number: 7
Wow,
Put the whole project on hold for a month or so and come back to PLENTY of help! Thanks everyone! Ok. Ordered the Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma. Was going to just order a 3-D set, but don't see the point so early in the game. As far as picture quality, well the wife has officially begun chiming in on the room. (after the "do whatever you like dear", lie) So I saved the $$ and got the "pretty" set. On that note, made the mistake in letting her see the Mirage speakers at an audio/video store today. Any BAD feelings towards Mirage? They didn't sound bad after I humored the wife and listened to them. Good deal- floorstandings 2:1...AKA $600 pair, figured its not a bad deal. They were played on a 115 watt/channel (?) Integra reciever. Again, anyone dislike the Integra? Should I run w Yamaha and save a few bucks? Getting ready to order wire now as walls are getting put up shortly. Are the smaller Mirage nano's good for the rears? Input is great and always considered everyone!!! Thanks so much!

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 180
yes chris
nanos as rears will do wide dispersion at least 4.5 feet high
no to yamaha for me..
why not go with the oppo bluray
integra as long as it has hdmi
audioquest wire and the mirage as fronts

thats my 2 cents.

peace vm