Getting Started, what's next?

Username: Tomc

Post Number: 1
Well, my usage for my theatre is mostly movies. I didn't plan on getting any HDTV from Time Warner just yet. Secondary usage on the system is XBox gaming and possibly usage as a stereo - mp3 player.

Anyhow, I am just getting started and I am new to all this, so I am just looking for some product recommendations, or in the least, what I should concentrate on next.

Here is my current setup:

New:
TV: Samsung - 50" DLP - HLP5063W

Old:
Sound: Sony SA-va35 - 5.1 system
DVD: Sony DVP S530D

Current Performance:
The sound on the unit is plain isn't too shabby. I haven't hooked up the sound system yet, as I am waiting on the tv stand to arrive. I am viewing the tv with limits right now as I don't like it running while sitting on the carpet.

I put in Monster's INC last night to give the unit a quality check, and I wasn't altogether happy. The feeds they had running in the store seemed clearer, and more along the quality I see while playing movies on my PC's DVD player. I am thinking that maybe the DVD player is old and decreasing the quality, but I am not sure yet as I don't have a newer model to test.

I think I can keep the sound system. It is a piecemeal system that we assembled over the past year or so. It was a 4.1 unit, but we added a center speaker last christmas.

Normal TV viewing seems blotchy, but that may be because it isn't an HDTV feed. I have digital cable currently with the DVR set. Great for recording things, but like normal cable tv viewing the quality isn't tbe best.

What are my options and where can I go from here?

I have about another 1K on my budget. The TV ate up just about most of it.

Thanks --

TomC
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us