Why connect my video signals thru SS receiver??

Username: Faster_damnit

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 1
Good evening everyone. I just purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-39TX to upgrade my home theater system. I have always wondered why you would bother to run your video signals thru the surround sound receiver. I just connect the audio. Other than control of signals by the remote for the receiver- is there any benefit? Sems to me it is one more place for the signal to be degraded for no purpose.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 104
Hi welcome..Jim
depends on the signal from source
signal if its a dvd player with a 480p resolution it may upscale the picture to 1080p on your display coming out of the pioneer.
I'd say close to 680 myself
I'm currently using no hdmi reciever seeing how most of my sources are at least 720p
and I'd recommend a harmony remote to control all devices at once,

does that help?

theaudioguy.ca

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 2
I will see if the rcvr has that capability. I know it does not have HDMI in/out.

The TIVO is HD. Sony DVD R upscales to 1080. That's it for video sources.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Jim you must get a bluray player!

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1179
Greetings Jim,

Your logic is not flawed but the idea of connecting video through the receiver is to simplify the switching between components. If you only have two sources it might not matter to you but you wouldn't see a difference in the video quality either way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
and to only run one hdmi cable to your display

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks, fellas. I tried on the bluray, but my "accountant" is very pleased w/ the new DVD R and is not sold on upgrading.

It is a Phillips plasma, 42. The Tivo HD is connected by the HDMI and the DVD R is component video. Old Yamaha RXV480 is current amp. So this will be a good step up.

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 4
Oh-
And it comes with a very nice, programmable, touch screen remote.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Jim hi the bluray hasn't really been scutinized yet rent a bluray then let me know say the hurt locker on bluray

not sure if your accountant is your wife but try again she's wrong

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 5
Yup, the wife.

Her passion is MGM musicals and movies pre-1970. That is why the TIVO HD plus DVD R. So it will interesting to see if those older films will come across on bluray. I am all for it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
sure jim but if they ever release some old movies on bluray you wouldn't be able to watch them on your current dvd player,,
and you can find the sony 360 for very cheap
peace
VINCE

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 6
True,
But you have to consider the source resolution. You would have to do quite a bit of digital manipulation to move these old films into bluray def territory. The few we have seen touted as "HD" are probably better than original, but don't look anywhere as sharp as current releases.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
agreed...
but you have to see new releases on bluray which is why everyone should own one..
'
I have the matrantz 7004
and it also plays cd very good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us