Newbe Needs Help w/ New Home Theater

Dave from the south
Unregistered guest
I want to add home theater sound to my setup. I mostly listen to music. But, sometimes I watch movies. I have a 5 year old Sony 32in Trinitron TV with component video inputs, etc... I have a 2 year old Sony DVD player with 5.1 audio out. I have a 5 year old Technics receiver with 120W X 4 + subwoofer output. I have an old pair of B&W bookshelf speakers that are shot.

My room is 10 X 14 with the bookshelf speakers located against the front wall. The TV is in the corner. We sit against the back wall.

I love that flat, detailed British sound for music. I tend to play it loud, 100 dB. But,my ears are not what they were when I was young. I definately need new speakers. I am game for changing any or all the components. I want to limit the cost to $3K.

I am thinking about adding small (10" X 10" X 36" max) LF and RF floor standing speakers next to the TV. Is a center channel needed? I want to add a subwoofer for playing movies. I can add RR and LR surround speakers but there is no room behind the seats for surround speakers. The surround speakers will be adjacent to the seats unless I install wall mount speakers behind the seats. I will have to run wires for the LR & RR speakers through the walls and attic (time consuming but not impossible). The DVD player and receiver has controls to set the audio levels but limited control for EQ.

Any thoughts??? Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 462
Dave,
If you like the detailed British sound I would recommend a system of Monitor Audio Silver speakers paired with a Pioneer Elite vsx53 or a Marantz 6400 or 7400 receiver. Either receiver is a perfect match with the MA's and I would then look for a good sub in the $450 list range like a Paradigm or HSU sub. Look at the MA Silver 6 for mains, the silver center[you don't have a home theatre without a center] and the silver 1 for surrounds. I think you will find this a great system for around $3000 or so.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us