Is Onkyo stilll the King?

Jonathan K. Smith
Unregistered guest
We all need to admit, when it comes on making great home theaters, Onkyo is one of the top dog that accomplish its job well done. What other system(s) do you know that is/are better than Onkyo HT-S770?

1 The new Onkyo HT-S770 has exactly 1000 watts, that's pretty impressive for system that cost $499. The subwoofer has about 220 watts. Is the subwoofer that powerful though? what do u guys think?

2 My other question is about Onkyo background. Ok, where is Onkyo made from? Japan or the U.S.? I went to Onkyo website and I read the "about us" but it didn't really help. So does anyone have information background about Onkyo?

3 Last but not least, does any of you people know which websites are better for checking reviews about home theaters? I know cnet.com is one them. What are the others?

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 22
I don't know of any, but I didn't look far before I heard the 770. That said, the speakers could be better but for $499 I'm happy.

1. Power is only a part of the equation, discrete channels, WRAT etc is a much bigger part than the Kilowatt (but it does sound cool).

2. Ya' got me but it does sound Japanese.

3. AVs forums I guess...

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1011
Onkyo is Japanese
Write them a letter and tell them who is king:-)

2-1 NISSHIN-CHO, NEYAGAWA-SHI
OSAKA 572-8540, JAPAN
Phone: +81-72-831-8000

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1012
Onkyo is Japanese
Write them a letter and tell them who is king:-)

2-1 NISSHIN-CHO, NEYAGAWA-SHI
OSAKA 572-8540, JAPAN
Phone: +81-72-831-8000

Bronze Member
Username: Matthew2582

Raymore, MO United States

Post Number: 22
Onkyo has been a leading edge almost-audiophile japanese manufacturer for over 50 years. I say almost audiophile because they are not quite up there with Denon who make the best sounding electronics from Japan. But Onkyo products certainly "sound" nicer than Pioneer, Sony etc.

You can find plenty of good HT review sites - just google Home Theater Reviews or something similar.

Bronze Member
Username: Brazilian

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 16
I have a TX989 from Onkyo Japan and it is a tank !!! This brick was released in 1999 and after updating this beast through internet from here in Brazil, I have a THX Ultra II certified receiver with everything in it !!! 989 is highly acclaimed through AV magazines around the globe. Maybe Denon 5803 is better because it has a pair of 32 Bit DSP instead of a pair of 24 Bit DSP (989) but it costs of lot more !
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us