Oh Boy! I Really don't know where to start

Username: Slyfoxdon

Mountain Home, AR United States

Post Number: 4
I've been reading the posts here for the last four+ hours and I'm not any smarter than I was to begin with! I retired here in the beautiful Ozarks some 23 years ago so I'm not exactly a state of the art kinda guy.
I presently have a 35" CRT TV with a Sony 5 disc DVD and a Kenwood VR- 507 home theater in a box - actually, it is out of the box!
Last week the TV expired, probably lack of use! So I set about looking for a TV and Blu ray that seemed to fill my current needs (wants) and came up with the Samsung PN 50B650 and the LG BD390 and I hoped to connect those to the old receiver. Well, the more I read the more I learned that I have an awful lot to learn and I don't know if I have the time!!
My family room is 24 X 18 and is all glass on two sides. The sofa faces the longest glass wall and we currently view the TV in the corner between the two class walls.
What should I do? Punt? Can I use the old stereo system? If so, how do I connect it given these new connectors that are not shared with the receiver?
Oh, I have cable and wireless and I can afford to spend an additional grand over and above the TV and BD but unless I need to do so I'd rather live with the Kenwood. I can't hear worth a damn anyway!!

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 52
Don hi welcome

you have to decide budget and whether you want to stay with the kenwood and upgrade speakers and reciever later or go with what you have.

I don't know which way you will go but check my last post for recommendations on spk wire etc

ideally htib is not that good compared with say a denon home theater reciever with decent 5.1 speakers.
the kenwood would work if it has digital inputs you can connect the cable and blu ray into it for sound coaxial or optical then connect the blu ray and hd cable box with hdmi directly to samsung

vince
theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 5
Hi Vince,
Thanks so much for your response.
OK, I've heard the ocean of poor regards for htib and I sure haven't heard any defense so far, so this is not the way I will go. However, after some searching I can see that I can't get a proper receiver AND speakers for $1,000.
What do you think about this plan: I go with the HDTV and BD that I mentioned and which you apparently saw no major problems with and one of the following receivers (if they are available and not obsolete): Yamaha RX-V665, Sony's STR-DG920, Pioneer's VSX-1019AH-K or a DEN9-AVR2308CI on sale from a authorized dealer for $310 (factory refurbished).
I then connect my Kenwood speakers and play it cool until I can amass more fun money.
I realize this would not be very exciting to most folks on this forum but would any guy with a tin ear be delighted with it - you think???

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1013
Anything but the Sony receiver!!!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 759
How about a new Denon AVR 1610 for about the same $300 .

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4865.asp

Post Number: 6
Casey,

Since all that I've been able to find to compare the AVR 2308CI to the AVR 1610 appears to favor the 2308CI usually by quite a leap.

If this is true would I be fair to say that you have little faith in the factory refurbishing process?

I'm not ashamed to say that I've gone that route more times than I can remember and have yet to be disappointed. I may well be stretching my luck but the savings here really does seem like a worthwhile risk.

Believing that you are far far far more knowledgeable than I when it comes to electronics did you make your suggestion on reasoning I haven't considered??

I do appreciate you input and would love it if you care to expand it.

Thanks, Don

DEN9-AVR2308CI on sale from an authourized dealer for $310 (factory refurbished)

Post Number: 7
Vince,

Dang, I forgot to mention that I was unable to find that post that you mentioned regarding speaker wire etc.

If you can identify it further I'd love to see what you had to say.

Don

recommendations on spk wire etc

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Don hi refurb 2308 is the way to go I would..

plenty of small 5.1 systems out there
tannoy,paradigm,mission psb,svs

here/s the post at bottom for wire recomendation etc.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/614636.html

kenwood!
god no how about just start with front 2 speakers only say from above,, instead of front 2 kenwood ,use the rest of what you have for now then go get rest of surround system when you can....
let us now how it sounds
theaudioguy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
or boston acoustics here amazing prices

Boston Acoustics E40 Cherry

colour no issue
Boston Acoustics HS60

then sub
Boston+Acoustics Horizon HPS 10HO

center
Boston Acoustics MCS130 LCR

rears
Boston Acoustics Horizon MCS 100

these are awsome the e40 are a steal
vince
theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 8
Vince, really good to hear from you and especially good to hear you say that the refurbished Denon AVR 2308CI gets your approval - very comforting since I ordered it last night!
Still feel a little squeamish about the purchase from DAKmart who claim to be an authorized dealer and that's because of the price. $310 bucks for this rehab is half of what I've seen elsewhere for the same rehab unit. Something is wacky somewhere.
I'll research all the speakers you mentioned both to me and to Mark in your advice to him.
I'm wondering tho if the Kenwood SW 35 HT sub needs replacement and also if given the size of my room can it be well served with the speakers mentioned.
Many many thanks
Don

Post Number: 9
Vince, just got your follow-up! Much more to look at now and your excitement regarding the pricing has been catching!!
I'll let you know what sounds good to me and hope you will agree.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
and not bad too if your on a very tight budget....

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Take-Classic-Pack-Theater/dp/B0021L9BME

add a sub and your set

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 10
Vince,
I'm still plugging away and have everything on order but the speakers. I sure did like the BA speakers but I wouldn't give a plug nickel for Sonic.
What a horrible outfit. I wouldn't trust them with my ex-wife - opps, I take that back, they deserve her.
I've been going through the manufacturers that you suggested and everything they seem to make under $500 falls way short of the BA deal.
The last thing I looked at was Paradigm deal but it too seemed rather feeble -http://www.tsto.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3176&Show=TechSpecs. What's your impression?
I haven't given up. Shoot, you found that BA deal so there could be another winner out there.
I have my receiver now and the BD and HDTV are en-route so I guess I can just hook up the old Kenwoods for the time being.
I went to monoprice and I kinda assumed that the following wire would do the job for me: 14AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable. That's assuming that I end up with halfway decent speakers!
I sure do appreciate all the help you've been giving me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Vince,

Would you happen to have an opinion on these two speaker systems:
Energy RC-Micro 5.1---Energy Take Classic 5.1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Vince,
Can I add Paradigm Cinema 70 CT to the mix~!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us