Build vs HTIB

Username: Bhushan

Washington, DC

Post Number: 1
I am an absolute Newbie at this. So please help me out. I am sure many of you have answered these questions over an over again. Here goes one more time.

I have an older setup with a Sony Receiver about 8 yrs old (no Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro-logic) I recently bought a big HDTV and am getting ready to buy a new HT system. Having spent a decent amount on the TV (for which I was in the dog house for a little while) I am now trying to piece together a HT system. I have been keeping a tab on the posting here and am wondering what would you folks recommend. An HTIB such as ONKYO 770 which I hear from you folks is very good OR a system put together.

Also would like to understand what do I give up if I buy a HTIB?

From the Other threads I can see that if I put together a system, then the recommendation for Speakers are:

Athena, Axiom, Infinity Polk and Paradigm and Flaunce

And on the receiver side:
Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha

Can you please recommend which receivers.

BTW the room dimensions are 16'x19'

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 929
budget??? Hopefully nothing that will put you backin the dog house:-)
If you go HTIB, you usually give up speaker quality, but less chances of visiting the dog house.

Username: Bhushan

Washington, DC

Post Number: 2
Budget is Around $ 600

After looking at some of the other postings, I took a look at the Athena speakers and the Axiom Speakers. I some some did not like the looks of the Atena surround sound (do not know the quality -- any comments on qaulity?)

Also please let me know what sites/places cannot I find these cheap (even refurbished)

CM
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a receiver and speakers last weekend. If you buy seperate systems, you'll also need to figure in speaker cable and possibly plugs. Speaker cable can run from $20 for 50 feet (radio shack) to $60 for 50 feet (monster cable). If your receiver and speaker setup require plugs, add another $40 to $60 on top of that.

HTiB often come with enough speaker cable to wire a small room and shouldn't require any fancy plugs.

I just spent $300 on an receiver (Yamaha) and $300 on speakers (Athena). An additional $100 went to extended warranties, and another $100 for speaker cable and plugs. All said, with tax, it came out to about $850. I also originally budgeted $600, but I do feel the extra $250 was well spent and I have no regrets.

CM
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us