Random audio loss

Hi

I have a bit of a problem with occasional random audio loss when playing dvd's. These are shop bought or rented.

I had two DVD players (Pioneer and Lenox) and was having an unrelated problem which at the time I thought was receiver related and so brought a new receiver (Pioneer VSX-D511). As it turned out there was nothing wrong with the receiver (it was a setting on the dvd players themselves) but oh well I got a new receiver out of it!

Once I had connected everything up and started to play dvds I noticed that every now and then I'd lose audio just for a second or two and it may occur only once during a movie sometimes a couple of times and sometimes not at all. Once I notice the loss I can go back and play that section again and the audio then plays but I may lose it again at some other point (or not at all). This happened on both DVD players.

I'm using a coaxial cable that I was using with my old receiver.

Anyhow even though I was sceptical I thought just maybe it was the dvd players at fault - well thats what I told the wife and this allowed me to get a new DVD player (Mustek).

However I'm still getting these random audio loses on the new player. As I say it only lasts a second or two though its quite noticeable.

So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what could be causing it. This didnt happen on my old receiver. When I was trying to sort out the original problem I was pulling the coaxial cable around a bit and am hoping that maybe its become damaged in someway - could this happen?? - Its not loose and is in fact quite tight which is why it sometimes got tugged a bit.

As of last night I removed the coaxial cable and replaced it with an optical cable I had laying around but I havent played any dvds since then to see if that has solved the problem. If it does then I'll get a new coaxial.

Could it be the receiver? It seems a little odd in that its brand new and a well known brand name and the randomness in nature in my mind suggests that its not but then I may have bought a dodgy one.

Does anyone know of anything else I can try to narrow down the problem?

thanks

steve

Derek
Is your receiver set to "Auto" for it's DVD digital input assignment. I have a computer connected to my Denon and everything worked fine except system event sound (ding!). They weren't comming through the digital cable - only the analog cable. The symptom was my receiver switching from digital to analog, then back again. I could see it on the receivers display. While it was switching the receiver would mute to prevent me from hearing a pop. When I went into my receivers setup and forced that input to the coax input, I found that the ding was comming through the digital input.

You must be having some type of dropout on your DVDs. The player or receiver is muting for a milisecond but is falling back to the analog jack before resyncing the digital input and switching back. This all takes time.

Try these two things:
1. Try to find a spot on a dvd where the mute always happens and try the anolog outs of your DVD player. Does it still mute?
2. Try forcing your receiver to "Coax" for the DVD player from "Auto". Does it still mute?

Hope this helps.

steve cooke
Hi Derek

Thanks for the reply

The receiver isnt set to auto - it is set to coax. Actually its set to optical at the moment as I changed to optical to see if it was somehow the cable and after playing a DVD last night I didnt notice any loss of audio but I'll have to play a few more DVDs to make sure.

I cant really find a spot where the mute happens because its totally random. Once I hear the 'mute' I immmediately press the 'rewind' button and play the section again and the audio is there! The dvd can then continue and I may here no further audio loss or it may occur again 20 minutes later.

I'll double check my settings tonight and make sure its not set to auto and play a few more discs and post how I get on.

thanks again

steve
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us