Blu-ray cabling to Receiver vs Audio to receiver video to TV

Username: Rileyj

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 1
Hello to all.

Have had this setup for a few months and am slowing going through the manuals, but can't find an answer to this and would like some expert user input. I guess what I want to know is can I, and should I, eliminate any device in the loop which isn't doing anything.

My LG BD390 bluray is currently connected via hdmi to the receiver (Yamaha RX-V863), then hdmi to a Panasonic TV.

The BD player manual says it's better to directly connect to the video. Fine, but what about sound? The BD player has toslink out, so

1) Can I connect the BD player to the TV via HDMI and audio out on the BD player with toslink to the receiver? Any problems with this? And

2) Should I?

I'd just try it, but need another fiber cable. The last one I got from Best Buys and ouch! What a ripoff!

Maybe I should mention the TV connects audio out via fiber to the receiver.

Thanks for any advice!

Riley

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 754
HDMI to the receiver then to the TV is the correct hook up. You need the HDMI connection to the receiver to feed DTS Master and Dolby TrueHD to the receiver. You should select either of these surround choices while viewing Blu-ray disc. Also with this connection you can connect all sources to the receiver and only one HDMI wire to the TV.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 937
Greetings Riley,

Future cable source:

www.monoprice.com

BB's way of making any money is by selling cables and they REALLY try to make money off of them as you have discovered

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 2
Casey--

I thought toslink supported DTS etc? And the video signal isn't affected or degraded by the extra component? I like the idea of just the one cable to the tv but don't want to risk adding noise to the system. (don't take this wrong, I'm just trying to learn, not argue!)

Jim--I'll check it out. How's amazon compare?

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Riley

Silver Member

Post Number: 942
Amazon will be a LOT better than BB and may well lead you to Monoprice!

Also, I agree with Casey and hope not to stomp on his post too badly by saying, yes you add some noise by introducing the receiver to the video signal stream but I bet you can't tell the difference under any circumstances. In other words the video noise will be so limited (considering all of the equipment in the way of the signal to your house) that it can not make a significant difference to your set up. One of the niceties of digital!

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 3
Jim and Casey,

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it and will use it!

A question on cables. Is a good quality, say the Monoprice, hdmi cable any worse than say, a hyped up Monster hdmi? As I'm sure you know, Monster spews forth bandwidth specs they say backs up their quality, but I'm skeptical. Digital does imply error correction, for one thing. With computers it's easy enuff to check for dropped packets, for instance, but I don't know of any way to test or compare an hdmi or toslink cable.

Gold connectors do look pretty. But are they any better on a Monster cable?

Thanks again,

Riley

Silver Member

Post Number: 947
The debate rages on but my money is better spent on the components rather than the cables. Until I get to the point of perfection with my screens, speakers and amps...

I have found that those huge, very impressive looking HDMI cables are so heavy that they fall out of the #@$$%^%^&$@! non locking connectors or worse, will not fit behind a TV mounted on a tilting bracket on the wall.

On the other hand going too cheap can cost you plenty. I have run into a Toslink that a client dug up from somewhere that didn't fit properly (may actually have melted) that caused all kinds of trouble.

Username: Irr5

Brights grove, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
I have a Sony 'W' series HDTV, a Sony 700 series 7.1 channel Surround Sound Receiver, a Sony Blue Ray Player and a PVR, The PVR 'Satalite In' is connected to the Star Choice Satalite Dish and only has a DVI 'out'.
How would I connect these pieces of home theatre to get the best quality picture and sound.
I had planned on direct connecting these to the TV but would that effect surround sound quality from the reciever?.
I have also been told that it is better to use component video cables from the PVR to the TV and not use a DVI to HDMI cable to the TV?.
I have both HDMI and Component cables but I do not yet have a DVI to HDMI cable.
What do you recommend as I am not sure how to achieve the best quality picture and surround sound results
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Ian Rose

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 56
hey Ian does the reciever have component inputs and hdmi inputs?
you can connect pvr with component cables into sony reciever first, or a dvi to hdmi convertor which are inexp to compare with component cable quality ,,not sure of sonys upconverting quality.

then pvr should have digital coaxial out connect that in to sony rec. dig in or coaxial if you DON'T USE hdmi.

you can connect blu ray to to the sony reciever with hdmi
then sony reciever hdmi out [monitor] to sony tv.

vince
theaudioguy.ca
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us