OTA HDTV into a Home Theater system

Username: Toast

Post Number: 1
O.K., I'm a newbee into Home Theater and I want to keep this very simple. Currently I'm enjoying over the air broadcast HDTV by simply connecting a TV antenna directly to my 46" Sony Bravia TV. I do not want or care to pay for cable or satellite. For my Christmas present, I have on order and soon to arrive, an Onkyo TX-SR707. I have read the on-line Onkyo TX-SR707 manual completely. My understanding is, I am to set my TV input to HDMI and use a HDMI cable to connect to the HDMI output on the Onkyo reciever. So far so good. The problem is where do I connect the OTA TV antenna? Normally the OTA TV antenna would be connected to a cable or satellite box and those would be hookup as one of the receiver's input. There is an FM antenna hookup on the reciever but I doubt that's where to connect the OTA TV antenna. The receiver has no built in TV tuner of its own so the OTA TV antenna must remain on the TV itself. But how do I get the sound though to the Onkyo receiver if the TV is hookup to the HDMI receiver output? If I switch the TV input from the HDMI to TV (to watch and hear OTA HDTV from my antenna), am I not disabling the HDMI connection between the TV and receiver? I'm lost, I don't get it.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 912
You will simply take audio out of your TV back to the receiver

Post Number: 2
Jim, wouldn't the left and right RCA analog audio outputs from the TV, if hookup to the RCA inputs on the reciever simply present a two front channel left and right audio output in a home threater system? It was my understanding that OTA HDTV was broadcast as 5.1 surround and that is what I want to capture.

Silver Member

Post Number: 913
Analog isn't the greatest way to decode 5.1 but it does work very well. If you do not have a digital output, and I suspect you do not, it is the best you can do with your set up. the good news is that it will sound REALLY good!!!

Post Number: 3
Hey Jim, I just notice that my Sony Bravia TV has an optical digital out. I should be able to get the full OTA 5.1 surround sound though my threater system by using an optical cable and connecting it to one of the optical digital inputs on the receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 914
BINGO!!! You are absolutely right!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us