Upgrade or Move Forward???

Username: Moodyda

Post Number: 1
I have situation that might be shared with many of you now or sometime in the future. I have a circa 1999 pre-amp, B&K reference 20, that has been a great pre-pro but it is beginning to fail. My options through B&K are to replace it with a Ref 31 for $1,000 and you get a new remote and a pre-pro of the last generation (does not decode all the new blu ray stuff) or Upgrade to the latest reference 70 that will do all the HDMI switching and the latest codecs for $2,700 (msrp 3,700) less the $1,000 credit for my ref 20. I have read that there are many issues with the latest ref 70 and they are replacing a board that will provide a fix that will be due out sometime in January.
I do not really want to fork out $2,700 for an "iffy" unit and I am not sure about investing $1,000 in yesterdays technology (though B&K did it better thany other for their price point... my opinion). I was looking at 2 new units offered here locally in West Palm Beach, (Recievers; are they up to Pre-pros yet) Pioneer sc-25 for $1,000 or a Rotel 1550 for $1,500. Even with those recievers I could make use of my B&K 5 channel amp (125 "true" w p/c) for my 5.1 and utilize the onboard amps for multi zones.
If staying with B&K I would probably go with the older Ref 31 to save some dough but I wonder if it is a waste since I can get the latest technology for the same price point or 500 more. I do not use Blue Ray yet and never used video switching (the wife hates to turn on all audio components to just watch tv plus it is a waste of energy if it is not needed). I was told that the audio you get from blue ray can be decoded by the player and sent out to a 5.1 set-up.
My current system is a 5.1 set-up that includes Sonus Faber Grand Piano (6 ohm) for my front 3, Klipsch KSF-S5 (8 ohm) surrounds and a SVS pb12 plus subwoofer. I really do not see the need to add 2 speakers for the 7.1 effect, plus my current room set-up will not allow for it at this time. Finally my TV is a 65" Mitsubishi rear projection that only accepts up to 1080i which currently rules out all HDMI connections (at least to the TV).
Is the latest technology that important based on my criterea listed above or am I missing something?
What shall I do?
Upgrade with B&K(ref 31) or Move forward (with a receiver)

Thanks, Dan

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 739
The Rotel looks like it would go good with your old amp. HDMI is a nice convenence, one wire instead of 5 or 6 wires per sources. Two sources 10-12 wires or 2. You could connect every thing to to Receiver with HDMI and use a HDMI to DVI cable to the TV. Connect Component video and audio from you cable box to the TV for your wifes convenence. Don't worry so much about 1080i and 1080P Blu-ray will look great on your TV and the sound through that sound system with the new audio formats will be wonderful.

Username: Moodyda

Post Number: 2
Why do you say that "the Rotel looks like it would go good with your old amp"? Are you saying that Rotel matches my old amp or are saying that it would be a mismatch with the Pioneer? Or neither, I'm confused????

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2565
­
Dan, you could also upgrade the pre/pro with another brand, namely Integra:

http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?class=Separates&m=DHC-40.1&p=i

This entry level pre is "entry" in name only -- it does all the latest good stuff, including the lossless codecs. It lists for $1200. There are dealers in your area, but I don't think Integra is discounted much. It should mate well with your old (B&K?) amp.

This Integra will equal or better the performance of the front end of any receiver in this price range.
­

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 741
I,m sorry if I confused you Dan. Simply choosing between the Rotel and Pioneer I would go with the Rotel. But John's suggestion of the Integra Pre-pro is a great idea, a few others to consider.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/886.html

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/997.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us