Could someone double check my home theater diagram please

Username: Bdogg

Post Number: 1
Hi I was reading over some of the posts trying to figure out my setup. I think I have a pretty good idea but would like to confirm my thought process. I'm connecting a kenwood receiver without hdmi or component inputs, a dvd/vcr combo, a toshiba hdtv, and a scientific atlanta 8300hdc cable box. From what I read I should do
hdmi out from cable into tv.
digital audio from cable to receiver
component out from cable to dvd in
dvd composite out to receiver in
digital audio from dvd to receiver
monitor from hdtv to receiver

If this isn't correct could you set me straight please, I'm sorta confused just writing this let alone doing it. Also I don't know if I should be connecting audio composite from tv to receiver, strangly I have no digital audio outs on the tv.

Thanks for any help.
Brooke

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 691
Your first step looks good,
hdmi out from cable into TV.
digital audio from cable to receiver,
but the next step need adjustment. Component out of DVD to TV and digital out from DVD to receiver. All Video to TV all Audio to receiver. If you need to record cable to the VCR send a composite cable and anolog audio from cable box to VCR.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2508

quote:

hdmi out from cable into tv. Yes
digital audio from cable to receiver Yes
component out from cable to dvd in No. I think you mean composite from cable to DVD/VCR in. That would be the yellow terminal (video) and the red/white terminals (stereo audio). This is necessary if you want to record a show on a VHS tape from your cable box.
dvd composite out to receiver in Yes, but in addition to that you should connect component (three wire) into the TV for best DVD performance (progressive scan).
digital audio from dvd to receiver Yes
monitor from hdtv to receiver See below

If you want playback on VCR tapes, you need to run composite Video/Audio from the DVD/VCR outputs into the receiver. Then you will run composite video from the video monitor out on the receiver into the TV, so that the tape's video will show on the TV. Note that you would have to turn on the Kenwood to hear audio from the DVD or the VHS tape playing in the machine.

Do not worry about digital out on the TV as you don't need it with your present equipment.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us