Muffled/distorted voices when using digital audio on DVD playback

Username: Sadaniel

Post Number: 1
Hello,
Just recently I replaced my DVD player. This is connected to my Denon avr-1400? surround sound receiver using the toslink cable (as was the old dvd). Now when playing dvd's all the sounds are great EXCEPT the voices...this seem to be garbled or muffled somehow. If I change the output to just stereo and not use the pro logic the voices are ok but I seem to loose the surround sound from my rear speakers.

I initially thought it was a faulty dvd player so I picked up another one (different make and model) and it has the exact same problem...now I am really upset...

I had not changed anything on the receiver between using my old dvd player and the new ones....

I have checked all the settings on both the dvd and receiver with nothing correcting the problem... :-(

It appears to only be a problem when playing DVD's and the problem only appears to be with the voices (muffled, distorted, not as loud)...all other sounds are great!

Any ideas on what the problem might be or how to fix it?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 848
The problem revolves around your center channel speaker for any of a variety of reasons. This speaker is what handles the voices and the noise you "see" on screen. By your description it would seem that all of the voices are coming from the left and right channel speakers only.
First thing would be do you have a center channel speaker and if so is it still connected correctly (moving components can easily dislodge connections).

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the suggestion Jim, as soon as I get home I will check that...I do have a center channel and the connections might have very well become dislodged while I was replacing my dvd player as the cables all go to the same place on top of the tv cabinet.

One thought...wouldn't all applications be affected by this problem that you mention?

I am only experiencing this issue when playing DVD's...with the dvd using either the toslink cable or I also tried a digital coax to see if that would fix the problem but neither have.

What do you think?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 849
It is likely that the speaker is working correctly as you suspect by the other components still working correctly but then again we are basically at step 1 of the troubleshooting process (as in, check the obvious first)

Step 2: Try simply moving the audio out of one of the other devices to the DVD player to see what happens.

Post Number: 3
well, i'm glad you started at the basics as one of the speaker wires got knocked off but with a first quick glance it looked ok...once secured everything is working again! thanks...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us