HDMI receiver with alternative audio input?

Username: Chuttt

Post Number: 9
Hi, I'm looking at buying a new receiver. Onkyo 606 / 607 comes to mind. But reading through the manual I'm not sure if it can be configured in such a way that I use HDMI as video input but other audio source.

The thing in question is my kareoke mixer which take audio from my BD player. Now that HDMI is both Audio/Video in one cable but I still want to be able to route the RCA audio cable (not coax digital) through the kareoke mixer into the receiver occasionally.

Can most receiver do that these days? I can do that by routing another cable directly to my TV but the purpose of buying the HDMI receiver is to have everything centralised there with one HDMI cable to the TV...

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 833
Greetings,

If I am reading your statement correctly you would simply run HDMI as well as analog RCA (red/white) out of your BD player, the HDMI obviously to the receiver and the analog out to the mixer.

Does this answer your question?

Post Number: 10
Partly... the thing is I'll then connect the audio out of the mixer back to the receiver as my mixer is a pre-amp only. And then I need video from my HDMI and audio from the mixer....

Silver Member

Post Number: 834
You only need to make sure that the receiver that you buy will fully up-convert from the composite video out of your mixer to accomplish your goal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hmm... my mixer is audio only, it doesn't come with anything video....

Silver Member

Post Number: 835
Sorry.

Are the karaoke discs Blu-ray? If not maybe the easiest thing to do would be to buy an inexpensive DVD player and just make two separate players, one for movies and one for Karaoke.
On the other hand perhaps you can connect your Blu-ray to an Onkyo SR706 via HDMI for movies and, it the player cooperates, via component video out, analog audio out to mixer then analog mixer to the Onkyo to GAME/TV for your Karaoke. The analog signals should be up-converted to HDMI.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us