Home Theatre assistance need for a rookie

Username: Ayakata

Post Number: 1
I am try to set up a nice and very powerful digital surround sound home theatre for a mid size living room. Currently, I have a samsung 52" 1080P full HD-LCD series 650 and a sony blue ray 1080P dvd player.

So, I went down to best buy and the sales man says that I am better off buying the receiver and the speakers separately. So he recommended that I get a Cinema DSP digital yamaha receiever withdts-HD master audio and dolbly true HD 5.1 or 7.1 and Definitive speakers plus subwoofer.

My questions please, what is the best home theatre receiver out there and speakers, is it possible for me to get them as package rather than separately and which one would cost effective. I assume that 7.1 would be better than 5.1. Please my range or should I say budget is betwwen $500-$1000 and where can I possibly get them at the best or cheapest price online. Best buy price is just way to way my budget.Bookshelves or towers, doesnt matter? Bipole or dipole or all direct? I dont know the difference, please educate me please.

Username: Perrytodd

Post Number: 1
i have a divinci home theater speakers the sub has 2 inputs and 2 out puts how is this connected

Username: Oci

Springfield, NJ

Post Number: 2
Yamaha receivers are probably the best sounding system for the money. I've seen the RVX659 http://www.bestbuypcs.com/item--Yamaha-RXV-659-Receiver--11053.html on sale for about $325 on line.

I agree that separates aren't worth the money...unless you're spending $$$ on other parts of the system, I think separates are a way to soak up extra money from us!

Post Number: 2
Thank you very much for your mail. If I should go ahead and get the Yamaha receiver, I would still need speakers and sub and this will mean that I am still getting separately but I would prefer to get them together as a package. Please what speakers and sub would suggest? or better yet is there any package that out there or link that will pump the same good quality that you can also refer me to. I would really prefer to get them as a package, this way I will feel like I am getting a big save, and everything at once rather than waiting for some parts; however if you can also direct me to where I can find all I need separately and still get a better deal, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks and God bless
Ayakata

Username: Oci

Springfield, NJ

Post Number: 3
Speakers are a very difficult and very subjective decision. Even a demo session at a dealer might be colored by the room (or the dealer's high pressure tactics), so I would not necessarily go that route.

I think you can try to read reviews from a range of different magazines to determine what speakers have the best reputation for accuracy and low distortion. I personally have RBH which are very good but very expensive. I have also heard good things about Orb Audio, TheSpeakerCompany, and Axiom (on-line resellers with a 30-day trial/guarantee) so you can audition the speakers in your home.

Other brands you might want to try are EMP (sold online) and built for (but not by) RBH. Also try Kirksaeter (Prisma 210 Speakers) which is a lesser known brand, also available online.

Many of the "high-end" speakers out there are custom built, fancy things that cost MUCH more than they're worth. Many mass market brands of speakers are all assembled for pennies at the same factory in China.

Good luck!

Post Number: 3
Hello there David Billings. Today, I decided to buy the recommended yamaha receiver, and I was reading through the spec one more time, I realized that it does not have any HDMI input or output and not 1080P resolution. I am under the impression that the latest receiver now and days has all these features. I would really like somthing that will last me for few years with at least most of the latest features. Please can you advise me on this or what do you think please.
Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 836
Greetings to all,

I tend to encourage auditioning equipment in stores rather than relying solely on reviews. Even "colored" rooms can tell you a lot about how the units "look and feel". For example, you may not be able to tell the difference in sound between a Yamaha receiver and say an Onkyo or Denon but if you can pick up the remote from each and see what makes the most sense and feels better that might make a difference you would be happy with. Another example is the hear the difference between book shelves and tower speakers (no contest in my book).

The ideal place to shop, I believe for you ayakata, would be a mid line audio store with some professional sales people who could give you good advise. Leave credit cards and cash at home and go out auditioning!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us