Infinity TS450 and Receiver?

Unregistered guest
I'm trying to buy a new stereo. Although I thought I hated sat and sub systems because of their cheep build quality, cheezy looks, and terrible (and I mean terrible) sound, I came across the Infinity TS450 yesterday and was somewhat impressed. For the reasons listed above, I had my heart set on something larger from Athena. The only catch is the system has to fit in a small (12 by 12) room and I have a 600 buck budget.

Anyway, this was my impression of the TS450: The build quality was very good - metal, but solid metal, and pretty heavy. The sub seemed to have some real substance to it. Next, the thing looked really modern and the sats are very small. The sub is especially stylish. Third, and most importantly, when the CircuitCity guy finally figured out how to power it up with a Yamaha receiver, I immediately realized the low, full bass and clean, crisp sound coming from the sats. (unfortunately they were all next to each other, so it is hard to determine how well they fill a room) So, given my budget and my experience trying to get a bigger system that actually sounds good and will fit in my small room, I've decided to give these a try. What the heck, if I don't like them I'll return 'em.

However, to give these a fair chance, I need to buy a nice receiver. However, nice = best I can get for 200 to 250 bucks. Many people have recommended the Onkyo 502 (I hope that's right). It looked terrible in the store (I guess their designers went retro), but I know they're supposed to sound great. Is there any other receiver I might seriously consider? Obviously sound quality is most important, but it would be nice if by coincidence it also looked to nice enough so I don't have to hide it under my desk. Thanks,

Daniel

Unregistered guest
Would a Harman Kardon receiver work? I don't need too much power for a 12 by 12 foot room, so their cheaper models would probably be okay, right? I know HK is supposed to be really good, but anybody know about this price range? Thanks.

I'm a little tired checking back here...please email me at danielagordon@mac.com (change the (at) to @)) if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Would a Harman Kardon receiver work? I don't need too much power for a 12 by 12 foot room, so their cheaper models would probably be okay, right? I know HK is supposed to be really good, but anybody know about this price range? Thanks.

I'm a little tired checking back here...please email me at danielagordon@mac.com (change the (at) to @)) if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us