Set up suggestions

Username: Depthcharge

Montreal, Qc Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I found some suggestions in previous threads, but they do not correspond exactly to my situation. After having lived with 20th century technology up to now, I decided to convert a basement space in a nice place to watch movies, mainly. I do not watch TV and do not intend to buy games to play on the the plasma screen. The room has 23 feet by 15 and a height of 7 feet. The plasma TV that I am going to buy is a Samsung 58 inches and the blu-ray is also a Samsung, a recent model just before the new wall mounted blu ray.
My viewing couch will be at 12 feet from the screen.
I am going to meet the people at the stores this week and despite a lot of reading and checking I am not sure I will be able to make a good decision without having some more ideas about models. This means that once one of the guys start to talk too much "techno" I will be pretty much in the dark.
So, I want a home theater system (separate or HTiB), 5.1, surround sound, good connectivity for an old VCR/DVD player, besides the TV and the blu-ray and would be willing to spend between up to $3000.
What would be good bets for this setting, and what should I try to avoid in terms of equipment?
Are wireless speakers any good? Which systems do you think exceed or match THX certification?
Thanks for any help.

Montreal, Qc Canada

Post Number: 2
I forgot to add that I would have somebody to do the installation and setting up.

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 17
$3,000 is a pretty decent budget to work with but my first suggestion would be to consider an HTPC instead of the BR HT. Just a thought but for what you have to spend you will be best served by using a stand alone amp with 7.1 capabilities for future upgrades as desired.... As for specific components I would not have any particular reccomendations but I can suggest you look at the best possible speakers you can find and work backwards from there. Most audiophiles will agree that the best system will only sound as good as the speakers can handle..

Montreal, Qc Canada

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the ideas. I think I would at this point stick with a BR and not a computer. As I said, this is mainly for watching movies, operas, concerts.
Some people had recommended the Onkyo HT-S990THX as a HTiB and the Consumer Reports gives high marks to the Yamaha RX-V663 as a stand alone and Infinity Primus P162 for the speakers.
The Yamaha RX-V3900 seems a bit too much for my needs. Hey, I said "up" to $3,000, but I would rather not pay for something that it is going to be excessive and that I will never use or notice anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 652
Marc, 3000 should make for a nice system. You wrote "I am going to meet the people at the stores this week ". What store, you can buy your video anywhere but audio is different. I like Denon receivers and Pradigm speakers. Follow the links to find a dealer near you.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/AVReceivers.asp

Look under EXPERENCE DENON for a dealer locator.

http://paradigm.com/en/paradigm/news/
Mini monitors are probably in your price range.

Montreal, Qc Canada

Post Number: 4
Thanks,

I think I have something set up. I went to a specialized store in Montreal (Fillion). I am currently thinking of the following system:
Plasma TV TH-58PZ850
Receiver Yamaha RX-V1900
Paradigm subwoofer PA DSP-3100
Front speakers Paradigm Studio 60/V5
Center Paradigm Studio CC490/V5
Surround Paradigm ADP390 V6
The blu-ray will be a Samsung BDP 3600
I compared blindly the Paradigm speakers with some of the same level from B&W and twice I chose the Paradigm. The Yamaha receiver was compared to an Arcam and without knowing to which model I was listening to, I chose the Yamaha. For somebody who up to last week was watching movies on an old 27' TV without any sound system, I think it will be an interesting experience.
Of course my budget was not respected, but I will be able to pay over 3 years without interest so what the hell. I am not into expensive cars, clothes, barbecues or pools, but I always dreamed of having a decent video and sound system.
So, do you guys think this will be good?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 816
You will be making a monumental leap and should thoroughly enjoy the experience.

Not to change your mind on your component choices, the Samsung Blu-ray should work well, but I would like to reiterate the fact that it is a true shame that Yamaha doesn't offer an affordable Blu-ray player. Issues such as handshaking, remotes, and ergonomics normally make it noce to stick to the same brands.

Montreal, Qc Canada

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the advice. This would be a pain, particularly with a $400 (Canadian) blu-ray reader. I thought about the Samsung because of the wireless internet connection. I will check to see if anybody has reported problems with connectivity before buying it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us