Help Set up a Combo Dvd/VCR, Ampli, Satellite, TV system

Max
Hello guys,

I am trying to set up a system with all of this, i do not think this is so uncommon but as it is now i have not found a chart of the connection i have to make.

I mean i have already combo/satellite and tv linked, and now i have decided to add an home theater system, all i need to do is to move all the sound lines from TV to HomeTheater?

Thanks

John Allen
All audio outputs should now go to inputs on your amp/receiver.

Then connect the amp/receiver to the speakers.

The video outputs (from satellite receiver; VCR; DVD; etc.) can be linked to each other via scart connectors, with the final link going to the video input on the TV. You can also use video inputs and outputs as digital co-ax or S-video connections.

There is a good guide here:-

http://www.whatvideotv.com/articles/

Max Amato
Thank you for your reply,

I do what you told me but now i am thinking on 2 changes/question that i could do?

1) I've read that i can send all the audio/video to the A/R and then use it as the main selector, or i can send just the Audio to the A/R and the video directly to the TV. The first option gives you full control with just one remote, the second a better video quality, but 2 remote to be used one for sound and one for video... what's the best?

2) RF Cable, goes to the VCR and to the TV for bypassing A/R if needed

3) Satellite Decoder
- Video goes to VCR and to TV
- Audio goes to VCR and to A/R

Is that a good schema?

John Allen
1) Yes, you have that choice. I use number two. My Sony TV has only a single scart input, and my receiver (NAD) has only composite and S-video out, so that is all I can do. Try it and see. People report on better video quality and less risk of RF interference with choice 2.

2) Yes, you can use the RF cable to connect to the ariel (UK) aka antenna (US) socket on the TV. But In my experience the picture quality is much better with direct connection to the TV.

3) Yes. My satellite receiver (Nokia) has digital audio out and I use that for viewing/listening (much better), but analogue scart for recording (My Sony VCR has only scart and RF in/out).

I found I had to play around a lot with different channel settings on the VCR and TV in order to get the scart chain working.

Max Amato
Thanks a lot for your reply, i still have to buy the Satellite (problem with Sky) so i do not know exactly which kind and the number of jacks i'll have on it, but i will try to set up everything tonite...

I think i'll use my VCR only as an input to the A/R since i cannot imagine any use of recording in the VCR what is going thru the A/R, that is not already passed thru thru it.

I'll let you know how the system will go

Chris Parks
I have recently dissconnected my TV, DVD, VCR and satelite. Now i am putting it back together and none of it is working can anyone please explain the correct way to put it all together.
Thanx in advance!!

John Allen
Max,

Careful. Sky aims for World domination. Many good channels including BBC are now free-to-air. Home cinema people in Europe might appreciate Turner Classic Movies. This is for another forum.

Nokia make a 5.1 surround satellite receiver. Swedish Radio did some experimental broadcasts in DTS 5.1 24/96 (nice test files available from their web site, for burning CDs), but I do not know who else does that. May be broadcast multichannel is the next big thing. Digital multichannel broadcasting is another of these things where I suspect Europe is years behind N. America, partly because of monopolistic cartels like Sky, who want it all, and at their convenience, not ours.

Yes, report back!

Chris,

I recommend

http://www.whatvideotv.com/articles/

The thing to do it get one thing working, like VCR to TV, then add other things one at a time, so you get the new thing working as well as the old. One key I found eventually is to understand that the SCART or whatever labelled "TV" on most stuff is not really "TV" but "output". The one labelled "Auxiliary" or similar may give an ouput, but also allows an input. Usually. Provided you choose the right input channel. I have spent hours on my mixed system.

For video, my Sony VCR is nice and tolerant and passes on another units' signal even when off. When on, it over-rides everything else. The Nokia receiver registers "AUX" on the LED when anything comes into the "Aux" input, and passes that on. I think I have the sequence DVD player (one SCART) -> Nokia sat rec -> Sony VCR -> Sony TV. It is like evolution, the older technology had the newer one added on; the newer was designed to accommodate that. You have to remember choose "Line 1" "Line 2" inputs etc for the VCR and TV.

SCART send video and audio together, as analogue signals. When you separate video and audio, what you do depends a lot on your receiver and what options are available on the units. VCR is analogue. Satellite is migrating from analogue to digital; it depends what receiver you have and which satellite you tune to. DVD is digital. Digital sources also have DACs and can give analogue outputs.

Anonymous
Hey everyone,
I'm doin the same thing, tryin to hook up a DVD VCR to a TV and such.

I found this article: http://www.monstercable.com/hookup/

It's a little more helpful than the link above.

Good luck!

Max Amato
Hello,

the system is ready, I've connected DVD, VCR, A/R and TV.

- Video -
Since I have a Combo DVD-VCR I decided to use its OUT Scart (in RGB mode) to go into Scart in the TV, and i left the 2nd Scart open for input for the Satellite Decoder

- Sound -
I splitted it into Digital (for DVD) and Analog (both DVD and VCR that of course is used only for VCR) both goes to the A/R that is used only to process audio not video

- Satellite -
I agree with you on Sky, but here in Italy where I live there is only one choice.. and it is: SKY or NO SATELLITE.

I decided to get it mainly for the good movies and for the sports, it is quite expensive but I cannot stand the national tv anymore ;-)

As for the Decoder i decided to stick with the rented one since sky is going to change the system in the next few months (likely) and i prefer to wait until i know which kind of decoder i have to get, this means no 5.1 for a few months on digital, but at least i'll use Dolby II to decode the stero audio.

Thanks a million for the help
Max

John A.
Max,

And does it work OK?

Your country produces the best movies. Il nuevo Cinema Paradiso, La Vita est Bella (Sorry, I only learned Latin)

[I am surprised Italy depends on Sky for satellite. If anyone could take on R. Murdoch at his own game, it would be Sr. Berlusconi. Surely he runs a satellite system, or two...?]

Max Amato
Yes, it is working very well....

At first i was a bit disappointed but then i realized that the DVD was not sending audio in digital and video in RGB. When I configured the DVD everythnig changed!
I still need some time to tweak the settings on the A/R since this is my first HomeTheater and i need to "train my ears" :)

In Italy we used to have 2 Satellite Systems, Tele+ (partecipated by Berlusconi) and Stream but Murdoch bought and joined them to make Sky Italia... that's the story.

As for the italian movie, they are completely different than english or american movies, they are more intense and based on the story and the contents...

John A.
Thanks, Max.

I would love to talk movies, but it would be a hi-jack of this thread (my fault!). Just, please, concede there is no single sort of English or American Movie! (Seen Casablanca, 1942...?). But you are right generally about Italian producers.

Don't "train your ears". Just listen. The system is supposed to give sound like real sound. We hear that all the time.

Max Amato
John,

You are probably right about the american movies, there are different movies, but I was talking in general. In Italy we also have "action" movies but with just one problem.. THEY SUCK! :)

I bought the Satellite today and unfortunately it have no Digital output.. I'll have to live with Dolby II and his decoder... but right now i tried it and i do not like it a lot since it doesn't use the Subwoofer as much as I like.

Do you have any idea what's the best idea to process Stereo signals, in my YAMAHA A/R I have 4 options:

1 - Stereo (just the 2 main speaker)
2 - Dolby
3 - Dolby II
4 - DSP

John A.
Max,

Thanks!

For surround processing from stereo. Personally, I like stereo. For movies on tape, I use and like NAD's proprietory "EARS". I have not heard Dolby Progic II, but I think that might be the best bet. Try it and see! Let your ears be the judge... (don't "train" them!)

I get the impression multichannel surround-sound satellite broadcasting is now established in the US, but I haven't been there for a few years. Anyone know?

Clement
Hello all,
My old TV (orion color 513) has only an RF antenna socket. Iam trying to connect my DVD (SEG Hawaii) to my TV via my VCR (SEG). I have connected the DVD to my VCR thro' SCART, and have taken the video out to my TV. Iam able to get a clear picture but no audio. I don't think macrovision protection is the reason as my video is very clear. Is there a way around without buying a RF modulator?

Thanks
Clement

I would like to connect a VCR,SKY, through DVD home cinima system can you help

Anonymous
We have a 36" RCA Televison that is about three years old. We also have Dish Network. The dish network receiver say EchoStar DV3. We would like to purchase an "in the box" Home Theatre DVD system. How do we determine what would be compatible with our existing television and dish components? Thanks!!

Anonymous
Ok i have a satelite system, regular cable (no box) a PS 2, an old style vcr and a dvd with a dvd switch box. can anyone help me.

Unregistered guest
hi
I will like to know how to hook up my dvd home theater center through my satellite without a video. I will like to get sound from my tv and satellite want i turn them on.

thanking you in advance.

marcodavid
Unregistered guest
im trying to connect dvd combined cinema system JVC TH A75R with sky,vcr,and satelite could any one help ?? tv has 3 scarts. does anyone know where i can find a diagram

Username: Boca

Post Number: 3
You are talking about set up of TV to AV-Receiver.
Yet no one mentioned how to attach TV audio to Receiver since those INLETS are used by SATELITE BOX audio feed. So if I want to watch just TV, I can not get amplified sound. Can I use any other set of audio IN's for TV sound.

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us