PC to HDTV

Username: Mrjaffa

Post Number: 1
Hi guys. I'm in need of help.

Just built a PC with the GTX260 graphics card which supports HD. I've connected the PC to my Onkyo amp which my TV is obviously connected to.

I'm trying to listen to music that is on my PC through my surround sound and watch my movies from my computer but through my TV.

So far I've connected the two via HDMI but I'm getting nothing.

I've just spent a great deal of money on my PC to watch my HD movies and listen to music. I'm so frustrated. I thought it was going to be so simple.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks guys.

(Hope this is the right forum)

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 801
Greetings Mark,

Right forum and a good question. Now for a bit of troubleshooting and for that some questions:

First off do you have any other AV equipment connected to your Onkyo (the model number may come in handy) that works as you expect it to? If say, a DVD player is connected to the Onkyo and is working correctly through HDMI then anything downstream (HDMI out of the Onkyo to the TV) can be eliminated easily as a problem source.

Secondly, can I assume that you can see and hear the movie playing on your computer monitor and speakers? If so, what happens when you connect an HDMI cable from your computer directly to your TV? If it works then perhaps there are some settings on the Onkyo that need to be looked at. If it doesn't work well then we have some computer settings that need a look see.

Hope this helps get you started.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply Jim, much appreciated.

I have the Onkyo 605. I currently have my V+ box and 360 connected to it (I unplugged one to then attach the PC as it only has 2 HDMI slots). They work fine. The HDMI out on the amp is then obviously connected to my TV.

I tried connecting the PC directly to TV via HDMI and extending the desktop to this through the display settings. Nothing happened. I opened the NVIDIA control panel and it does seem to recognise the TV there.

I don't actually have any speakers for the PC, with my old PC I always connected it to my amp via a standard audio cable.

When I was fisrt setting it up I did connect the PC directly to the TV and no was monitor was connected and the desktop did show on the TV, even though it was all green.

Hope you're the man to help me... I've been playing around with this for 2 days. I'm off work too, I just want to kick back and watch some movies.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 802
OK the cool thing is that we have the problem isolated to the computer so I would suggest connecting directly to the TV with HDMI and get back into the settings menu on the computer. I am familiar with my laptop "dualview" where I go to:
Control Panel - Display - Settings
and then tell Windows what my second screen is. The ADVANCED button then gets me into my graphic card setting menu. Have you messed with that at all?

Post Number: 3
Had a look in there. Can't see anything.

When the PC and TV are not connected and I have open the display settings, the 2nd monitor is only small. When I connect the two the second monitor actually increases in size and like I said, when I open the NVIDIA control panel, it has my SHARP TV there.

My understanding of how this works, from when I did this a long time ago but with a second monitor, when you click extend desktop, the desktop appears on the second monitor and you can then drag things over onto it. But that just isn't happening.

The fact that my PC is recognising the TV makes me wonder whether it's something with my TV. But I'm on the right channel and I had a look in the settigns and there was nothing obvious there.

In the display settings, the drop down box with the list of options for the display has two different options and is the same on display 1 and 2: Generic PnP Monitor on NVIDIA Geforce GTX260.

I'm really stumped.. Think I would actually pay someone to come and sort this for me, lol....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us