New to HT, need opinions before 30 day exchange is up

Username: Bak

Post Number: 1
I just set up my 1st HT system. it took me so long because I couldn't bring myself to upgrade my Nakamichi 4 channel amp and KEF Q50's.

I had a tight budget so went with an open box Yamaha 5650 6.1 ch. amp for $300. Athena F1 fronts and C1 center to match ($500). I've moved my Q50's to the rear, giving me 4 floor speakers as sats. No rear center yet, and sub i'm using is a Yamaha from the htib that the receiver came from.

2 questions. Should I go a different route, and return amp or speakers while under the 30 day exchange?

Should I use the less than impressive Yamaha sub or use the sats and center for base?

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 818
keep the KEFs up front and put the Athena's to the sides, but, that's just me. Should be a sweet set-up.
Experiment and decide which set-up you like best, though.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the response Berny, I want to try the Athenas up front for awhile since the center channel speaker is a match.

I need to do some placement adjustment with the KEFs in the rear. I get a sweet sound from them, but not loud enough.I can adjust the receiver to compensate. Is this because KEF are 6 ohm speakers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 831
I see you purchased the Athena's!
KEF's wouldn't really sound loud enough, not because they are 6 ohms, it is because of their efficiency. The Athenas I believe has an efficiency of 92 db and the KEFs are in the high 80s, 86 I think. That means the Athenas will respond to a signal much faster than the KEFs.
KEFs love a lot of power but it is in no way a detriment to the quality of the product.
There are compromises in any speaker product, but it does not usually mean one is superior to the other.
Now, when are you going to delve into the DVD-Audio world??? I have a 4 tower set-up like yours and it is audio nirvana!
Enjoy the sound!
cheers

Post Number: 5
Excellent! Sounds like I can bypass any buyers remorse. The DVD player was bad out of the box so in for repair, a Yamaha with optical and coax digital out, I'm on pins and needles waiting. In the interim I am using the DD shows from my direct tv box to test sounds

Another question if you don't mind...Do you have all 4 of your floor standing sats set to small or large on the receiver? and, do you let them transfer the base or do you defer it all to your sub?

My htib sub sounds rather muddy sometimes. Should I go with or without my budget sub?

Silver Member

Post Number: 837
personal preference. I just don't think the asf-1s have the cajones to go that low. Save up for a nicer sub, HSU, SVS or Velodyne (if you are in a hurry). I prefer the 10 inch HSU as they respond rather quickly and not muddy at all.

Oh, and I change the settings a lot on my towers, but it is usually on small settings for movies and I put it on large when listening to music.

cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us