HELP! Recommendations on Home Audio $500-$600

Unregistered guest
I'm purchasing my first home theatre system and I'm in need of some advice!

Background:
I currently live in an apartment with a room for the equipment that is approximately 20' x 15'. I plan on using it mostly for music (50% of the time) and movies (25%) and video games (25%). My music collection covers many categories from metal (Sepultura, Pantera) to country (Johnny Cash) to classical (Misc.) to vocal (Operas/Musicals). I don't consider myself an audiophile, just a fan of great music.

I plan to hookup the following:
Cable
Playstation 2 (Doubles as a DVD player for now)
VCR
X-Box

My budget is $500, +/- $100, I'm looking for only a receiver and speakers (so no HTiB with DVD players), and I plan to keep the system for at least 5 years.

I have two options:
1) Purchase a package deal, such as the Onkyo HS-760 or the Yamaha YHT-450. I've heard rave reviews on the Onkyo, but the detractors point out the construction of the speakers. The Yamaha doesn't have any reviews, but has the latest technology for movies and nice features for music.
2) Purchase a receiver and speakers seperately...in which case, I don't have any idea what I'm looking for. If you recommend that I go this route, please make -specific- recommendations and explain why.

Thanks!

CM

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 759
The Onkyo is a good deal, except for the speakers. You need to upgrade those anyway, so get the Onkyo and try yourself some of these
http://www.fluance.com/
wonderful set of the speakers at the right price for the beginning HT enthusiast.

for specifics try this on for size
http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html with this receiver
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1081899793912&skuId=6355605&productCa tegoryId=cat03031&type=product
or this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077626340122&type=product&productCat egoryId=cat03031&skuId=6304741
should be more than enough to fill your requirements
cheers

CM
Unregistered guest
Berny,

Thanks for the quick reply and the links!

I'm definitely going to pick up the Pioneer VSX-D814K. It exceeds what I'm looking for in a receiver and I should be able to expand nicely in the future.

I'm hesitant about buying the Fluance speakers, however. There's no listing for them on the Better Business Bureau...and the speakers look HUGE! I don't know if I can find the space. Are there any speaker packages for 5.1 or 6.1 that run under $300? Preferrably not full size.

Thanks.

CM

Silver Member

Post Number: 770
I've heard and tried the Fluance SX HTB and they are awesome. I bought a set for a relative in college and he can't get over them. I didn't think they were overly large as they were to be used in a dorm. But if you want the compact speakers, this is the closest I can get to your budget that I liked.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductSearch.aspx?N=259

You can go to Best Buy and check out the Athena speakers and some of the Klipsch Quintet as they will be on sale.

There are others like the older JBL SCS series but I didn't like the sound except for the subwoofer. You can try some of those.

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
Here's a link you people might want to check out.

http://www.echohifi.com

Lots of used gear, fairly priced, no sales tax.

Silver Member

Post Number: 791
looks like spam

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
Sorry Berny, no spam.

What it IS, is a good place to buy quality gear.

I know, the whole idea of getting anything used must be a major paradigm shift for some of you cutting edge consumerists, but think of it this way: odds are your old lady was well used and broken in before you got her, and she works fine, eh?

No, I have no stake in that place (Echo Audio), hell it is in another STATE, but I have 3 high end stereo systems and a dedicated home theater, and about a third of my gear came from there.

You really should do something other than follow the path of least resistance to Good Guys or Circuit City.

Check your local classified ads for deals on private party used gear; try contacting your local high end dealers for used stuff too.

It's worked GREAT for me, but then again I am knowledgable about the equipment and patient.

Spam. Not hardly...

Silver Member

Post Number: 826
Sorry, Mr V it looked like spam, for an anonymous website, with no reputation but whatever it is they're saying about themselves. It could be a real nice mom & pop store, but I really can't tell. Maybe I'll try them out and then recommend them, too.
But hey, you are knowledgable about the equipment.
So you are saying that your old lady is a hoe, and she still sucks, eh!

Silver Member

Post Number: 832
my apologies Mr V. I really shouldn't stoop down to that bait of yours. No matter how personal it may have read!

Customer
Unregistered guest
Hey I've bought plenty of stuff from echo audio over the years and I can tell you this place is for real. It is an honest to goodness retailer with a storefront, regular hours and real employees. It is not some cheesy outfit selling out of someone's sparebedroom. If you would like go visit the place in Portland Oregon and see for yourself.They are not some goofy e-tailer. Really!

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
Not bait, just a somewhat ribald comparison.

BTW, I wasn't designating your old lady in particular, but odds are you weren't her first: and *that* is my point.

People in audioland seem to believe the media driven hype that NEW is best.

Well, maybe for some things, like surround sound processors and HDTVs, but amps, speakers and cables last a l-o-n-g time, without failing.

Most American made high end electronics are well nigh bulletproof, and speakers can be readily fixed when the woofers finally begin to fall apart.

My point: guys who know WTF they are doing can and will build a better sounding system, incorporating some used gear, than newbies who spend the same amount of dough chasing the recommendation of some salesman in Best Buy.

Of course, for most folks, ignorance is bliss.

Look at Bose...

Silver Member

Post Number: 846
A coarse comaprison it is.

"Look at Bose..."???
Now that was bait if I ever saw one:-)

CM
Unregistered guest
Followup:
Well, I've had a productive weekend. I researched the two systems that Berny recommended - the Pioneer and the Yamaha. The two are pretty good receivers and would accomodate everything I was hoping to hookup. In the end, I purchased the Yamaha.

I lucked out and found an Athena Point 5 MK II speaker set (5.1) for $299 (the product is being discontinued). I'll have to pick up another Athena speaker and a subwoofer, but this should work for now. The set came with wall-mounting brackets so I won't need stands.

I did get extended warranties as well. From what I just read here, the addage "A fool and his money are soon parted" came to mind. I guess I'll see in the long run if it was worth the additional $100 ($60 on 9 years on the speakers, $35 for 4 years on the receiver).

Everything was wired up on Sunday and wow, it sounds great. I'll really crank it up in 50-100 hours after the recommended break-in time for the Athenas.

All told, I ended up spending more than I planned ($850) but I have a great system that should last me for some time. Thanks to Berny for pointing me in the right directions!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us