The stumper of all grounding problems

Username: Zjphillips

New york city

Post Number: 1
I have looked far and wide; see if you can solve this. I'd be indebted.

I'm getting buzz on my Samson Resolv40a monitor speakers, which I use for sound on my laptop (MacBook).

-speakers do not buzz when plugged into my iPod
-speaker buzz mostly goes away when I unplug the laptop from its power source

I have tried (without success)
-plugging the speakers into the wall outlet and the computer into a surge protector connected to the same outlet
-plugging the speakers into the wall outlet and the computer into a surge protector connected to a different outlet
-plugging the speakers and computer into the same surge protector
-getting a new surge protector (with a "grounded" light, although it's not a very expensive one) and repeating above
-trying all above with two different outlets in my apartment

Any ideas what I can do? I don't see any possible solution.

Username: Trebag

HI USA

Post Number: 1
Here's a couple long shots for you. You may want to try ever-so-slightly backing the bayonet connector for your speakers out of the jack. Not far enough to break the connections but just enough to leave a hair of a gap between the case of the laptop and the butt of the jack. If that doesn't help isolate the problem, you may want to try placing the laptop on a well grounded metal surface (ie a metal desk that you've grounded or a tech workstation if you have one of those lying around). If neither of those alter the situation, idk, maybe an excorcism?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us