Yamaha RX-V665-7.2/Using 6.1 speakers/RearCenter to L&R surround

Bronze Member
Username: Bozobyte

Where Micky mouse lives, CA Good Ol U.S....

Post Number: 12
Yamaha RX-V665-7.2/Using 6.1 speakers/RearCenter to L&R surround

I was going to get the Onky 606, but then this Yammy came out...

Well, After looking and waiting a long time for an AVR, I went with the fairly new Yamaha RX-V665 / 7.2 ch. receiver.

The speakers are the VT-12 6.1 Performance II, with the STF-2 Sub. Untraditional way of hooking up the rear L and R Surround back speakers to AVR, and also from each to the rear-center speaker.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html

Not set up yet, as I am pouring over the AVR manual. I don't want to mess anything up,and going through this manual I'm noticing lots of changes since I last my Sony dolby Pro-Logic surround receiver from the early 90's, and now it's like I'm preparing for a trip to the moon with all these features, and settings.

I know the ventriloquist setup is unconventional with the left and right rear going to the receiver,and both left and right rears also wired directly into the rear center channel between them, instead of having the center-rear with it's own direct wire to the AVR.
Has anyone encountered any problems thus far with this particular set-up? Any hints,or suggestions? Dial / knob settings?

By the way, them there guys at HSU are very helpful and knowledgeable to boot. Pete, Leo, and Ryan whom I dealt with, are very helpful and make this a delightful experience to deal with.

I know I have additional setup questions, Like this: Since I am doing the 6.1 channel, on the back of this AVR, They have on the right of the Speaker inputs a SURROUND BACK/BI-AMP Right and left speaker. Do I use this Left or Right channel surround back for my rear-center speaker? Subwoofer...Does the plug go into the bottom right corner in the #1 input?

The reason I ask this is that I notice the subwoofer plug over in the MULTI CHANNEL INPUT area on the bottom left of picture. Also, the surround and the surround back in the Pre Out section.

In other words, I am not using either the Multi channel or the Pre out area (except maybe the sub input #1)

And Finally, when I hook up the rear surrounds to the receiver, I'll be running an extra line from each of the L/R surround rears into each of the rear-center speaker terminals, top left and bottom right ?

Yamaha RX-V665 below >>>
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/EnlargedImage.html?CNTID=50283 82

Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Any issues connecting this Yamaha RX-V665 to a 6.1 speaker setup by only running one HDMI from the Display to the receiver???

Hello...
You've no doubt heard this expression, "How long do you want to keep beating a dead dog?"

Believe me, this dawg loves my Golden retriever to death, and I would never harm him in any way, but guys, seriously? I am so sorry for being completely dense on this, but over the last six months, I have received tons of misinformation on how to hook up the Display to AVR, primarily from audio salesmen, and other Forums, I'm just plain dizzy. I don't want to make any mistakes. At first, I wanted to have a choice on listening to either the TV speakers, or the AVR speakers, but what was I thinking...I should just use the AVR and 3.1 for broadcast and the 6.1 for movies. Otherwise, I would have to either run separate HDMI cables from TV (in wall) to each component and optical from TW-DVR to AVR...right?

I've waited awhile for the right receiver, and here are a few features: that
Fully compatible with HD audio and video,
HD audio decoding, HDMI (4 in/ 1 out),
1080p video upscaling. Pure Direct,
YPAO, Cinema DSP 3D and custom installation features,
HDMI Pass-through,
HDMI Up Conversion (with upscaling up to 1080p).

Originally, I was going to get the Onkyo 606 or 706, or maybe even a Sony HTiab (gasp) but decided on this Yamaha 7.2 RX-V665 AVR, and a HSU Sound research 6.1 speaker.

I have a HDTV Display mounted on the wall with one HDMI cable presently connected to my Time-Warner-DVR STB, soon to be connected to the Yamaha RX-v665,along with a 6.1 speaker setup. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html

It's not hooked up yet, because I'm going round and round trying to figure out the best way to do this with less cabling in the walls. Besides, I would have to take the TV back down to connect any additional cables in it and that would be a BIG hassle.
Now, with this receiver, I'm thinking all I have to do is keep the one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and then all the other components into the AVR. In doing this, will I still get 6.1 from the display via the receiver?

I was told this...

"Put simply, if you run an HDMI from your display to the receiver you will only get 2.1 audio (some sort of restriction due to copyright laws) IS THIS TRUE?
"You must pass all audio through the receiver first in order to get all the audio formats in proper 7.1."

"If you want to sometimes just have the display on without the receiver you can run a separate optical cable for audio and a component video feed directly to the display from the cable box/sat receiver." I'd rather not.

I kind of wanted to have a choice on either listening to the TV speakers for just watching regular broadcast, or the AVR, but this seems like a lot more of a hassle to do this.

HERE IS THE YAMAHA RX-V665 RECEIVER --
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5028057&CTID=5000300 &RLTID=1504&DETYP=RELATION

In looking at the specs, would I just be able to hook it up with my original idea...one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and everything else into the AVR? -

What else do I need to do to get all the Audio/Video features from the AVR and the Display to play through all the 6.1 speakers? Anything at all, or am I good to go? Currently, I think there a few 5.1 Dolby programming channels on TV, and the 6th rear-center speaker matrixes along with the rear-right and rear left speaker.

Thanks a bunch! And Don't HATE me because I'm electronically challenged.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 793
You are correct in that there is no need to take down your TV if you take the existing HDMI from your cable box and connect it to the receiver's HDMI out. Then connect your cable box and any other HDMI device into the receiver's HDMI inputs and you will have the best audio and video that your devices are capable of.

I do not have any experience with this particular receiver so I do not know if it will pass audio to the TV but unless you are a late night viewer with a lot of sleeping people in a small space there really is not a lot of call for using the TV speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 638
Bozobyte lots of questions. I don't understand the problem with the rear speakers. The Yamaha has regular surround connections plus surround back channels. If you only want to use one surrounds back speaker I'm sure there is a set up for that. If you don't want to run the wire for the surround back speaker than maybe it is not even necessary. Pg 52 of the manual is wher you can find info on 1 or 2 surround back speakers. Pg 54 says you can have the HDMI pass to the TV the AMP or both.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Casey,
On my 6.1 speaker setup (on the speakers themselves,not the Yamaha) it gives me two options.
1)For a 5.1 R+L Fronts, R+L rears, and one center speaker. The rear-center connects into both the Right and left rear surround.
2)On the 6.1, The only difference is the center-rear speaker instead connects directly into the AVR's Center Rear-Right&Left connection.
HSU Research sound told me on the 7.2 Yamaha, I could use the 5.1 setup,this matrixes both the right/left channel into the rear-center.In addition, I would only use short speaker wires to the center rear from both the surround speakers.

On the back of the Yamaha AVR, all I see is FRONT,CENTER,SURROUND,AND SURROUND BACK (no said plug-in for the rear-center speaker.) So I assume that either one or the other SURROUND BACK LEFT OR RIGHT WILL SUFFICE.

Again, This particular brand of speaker setup is very nontraditional as far as hooking two front into Front center, then out to the receiver.

Thanks again!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2471
­
"Any issues connecting this Yamaha RX-V665 to a 6.1 speaker setup by only running one HDMI from the Display to the receiver???"

There shouldn't be any problem with this.

"At first, I wanted to have a choice on listening to either the TV speakers, or the AVR speakers, but what was I thinking...I should just use the AVR and 3.1 for broadcast and the 6.1 for movies. Otherwise, I would have to either run separate HDMI cables from TV (in wall) to each component and optical from TW-DVR to AVR...right?"

No need to complicate matters. Because you have the latest in receiver technology, you need not run any more cables to the back of the TV other than the HDMI that's already there. The Yamaha, when properly set up will pass audio to the TV via its HDMI output, and still utilize any audio bitsteam for the surround system. (See page 54 where you choose "AMP+TV" for the HDMI audio configuration.) In order to use the TV speakers only, you will have to power up the Yamaha (otherwise the HDMI output would be dead), but at that point you would mute the receiver and turn up the TV's speakers.

"Now, with this receiver, I'm thinking all I have to do is keep the one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and then all the other components into the AVR. In doing this, will I still get 6.1 from the display via the receiver?"

You're not getting anything from the display; you're only sending video and stereo audio to the display. Otherwise, the answer to your question is yes!

I was told this...

"Put simply, if you run an HDMI from your display to the receiver you will only get 2.1 audio (some sort of restriction due to copyright laws) IS THIS TRUE?

Horsepucky. First of all, the wording implies that there's an HDMI output on the TV, which there most certainly is not. Yes the TV and all the other HDMI devices in your system must be HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) compliant, which they are. But it isn't the TV that deals with the surround sound.

"You must pass all audio through the receiver first in order to get all the audio formats in proper 7.1."

True.

"If you want to sometimes just have the display on without the receiver you can run a separate optical cable for audio and a component video feed directly to the display from the cable box/sat receiver."

As I've already explained earlier, there's no need for more wires through the wall to the TV.

"In looking at the specs, would I just be able to hook it up with my original idea...one HDMI from Display to the AVR, and everything else into the AVR?"

Yes.

"Currently, I think there a few 5.1 Dolby programming channels on TV, and the 6th rear-center speaker matrixes along with the rear-right and rear left speaker."

The HDMI from the cable box will be hooked into the Yamaha and once that particular input is selected, the Yamaha will process any and all digital surround signals available on the cable channels.

That's it. You're good to go. Say hello to Mickey next time you see him. :-)
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks guys! Jim,Casey,John...Thanks John S,
Out of all the replies I have received on the other forums,yours I would think, makes more sense than the rest. We just kept going round and round with the digital optical,more separate HDMI's from Display to each of the components,etc.,but those ideas were from older receivers. The newer ones can handle what I was trying to ask all along. Thank you! I did not want to set everything up until I was clear on wiring and stuff. Both Micky and Minny sez hello!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2473
­
"Both Micky and Minny sez hello!"

Yes, and thank you for your patience.

Username: Calhoun_jake

Post Number: 1
I just received my new rx-v665 and was hooking it up today but was having a few issues I was hoping you could help me with.

What I'm trying to do is pass all of my compositive/component video/audio through the single HDMI output.

I have a 720p TV (Toshiba 50hp66) so I need to convert the composite/component video to 720p.

I've read through the manual (page 54) and tried to change the resolution Function>HDMI>resolution to 720p, but all it will let me select is the " *through ". I think this might be my issue? If so, do you happen to know how it will allow me to select the other options (720p)?

Another thing I thought of is the cable - I purchased a 1080p 1.3 cable - I'm kind of doubting this is my issue, but wanted to make sure.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2476
­
Jake, the way I read your manual is that the receiver is supposed to detect the TV's resolution automatically via the HDMI hookup. The manual doesn't say, but I would certainly guess the TV has to be on. Then when you go to "Resolution" in the menu, the receiver is supposed to put an asterisk by the appropriate resolution, which in your case would be 720p. (Page 54, second bullet point in the "Notes" section under "Resolution")

Post Number: 3
Thanks. Do you think it could be the cable? I've had the TV on when it was plugged into the receiver. I just tried to plug the HDMI cable directly from my DVR HDMI out to the TV HDMI in and it worked for about 5 seconds, then the screen went black. Colorstreat still works from DVR to TV...

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2477
­
Anything's possible I suppose, but I think it highly unlikely the problem is with the cable. You could try another, but I doubt there will be any luck there.

Sounds like it's either a "handshake" issue, or there may be a problem with the TV. Try turning on the TV at least 10 seconds before you turn on the receiver. That is the proper handshake sequence.

Jake, I know you are trying for a nice clean hookup here, but you may have to go with component. The analog to digital conversion in many mid-line receivers can vary from just good to very bad, so even if you get this HDMI problem worked out you may not be so happy with your analog video quality on the TV's HDMI in. Most receivers do a very good job converting composite and S-video to component. I know you won't get any video upconversion on the receiver's component output. But the TV has to scale everything to to 720p anyway, so what's the big deal with expecting the receiver to do it?

One more thing. Are you having a problem with the receiver's resolution setting set to "through"?
­

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 403
Jake,

Are you saying that you are under the impression that if you are not able to change the resolution setting to 720p that your TV will not poperly interpret the signal from your component and composite sources? If this is what you are expecting then don't worry your TV is still going to receive the signal and display anything that you are connecting to it through the HDMI out. The fact that your TV is 720p does not mean that it will only accept 720p signals. It will accept lower resolutions and sources capable of higher resolutions. When the source resolution is capable of higher than 720p the source you connect to it should detect that your TV is only 720p and output at the 720p resolution. When the source is lower than 720p the TV will display it as whatever resolution it is so if the source is 480p your TV will display it as 480p. All of your sources do not have to be exactly 720p to work. The 720p specification is just the highest res your TV is capable of and it can and will process lower resolutions just not higher ones.

Is this what you are asking? -not sure

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the help here - it was actually the HDMI cable! I picked up another cable to test it out and it works. The receiver does exactly what they promise - pass the composite and component through the HDMI.

One issue I am having is that the HDMI is considerably more pixelated than colorstream...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us