Weird problems NAD T753 & CA 540R - long

Username: Mrmoo

Post Number: 1
Hi,

Know their not realy in the same price bracket but somehow I was persuaded to try the Cambridge Audio 540R. The sound was OK, but I just couldn't stand the poping between tracks when listening to music, it also seemed to happen between scenes on DVD's but was less obvious. Anyway the next box did exactly the same thing, so I thought time to go with original plan and get a NAD...

So having read the thread about this buzzing and hissing I was a bit nervous. Had to order the NAD as no one stocks it locally :-( . The NAD duly arrives and sounds _amazing_. Sadly a day later and buzzing. Also I noticed this had some hiss, supprising amounts I would have said for the volume levels. The buzzing was roughly 4 minute intervals and sounded like arcing, also seemed to only come from one channel. This was consistant when switching speakers around, i.e. it came from the same channel. So back it went. Now I have the 4th AV amp and a lot less his, quieter fans so far so good... After being on for 1 day... Buzz :-( ! Not done the speaker moving exercise yet.

Maybe AV isn't ready for the home yet, or maybe I'm just choosing the wrong products?
Not realy sure what to do about it now... Any advise?

--
M

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
I doubt it is a ground loop hum, but try this: go to Radio Shack, Home Depot or the like, and buy a "cheater" plug to float the grounds in all of your wall connections.

(Cheater plug: accepts the 3 prongs from the cord that the equipment has, puts 2 prongs in the receptacle, without the third, ground prong).

This should solve most ground issues.

Otherwise, you might be picking up RFI: do you use a power conditioner?

Username: Mrmoo

Post Number: 2
Hi,

Thanks for the electrical suggestion, I did get a mains noise suppressor. I didn't think it would be this as the buzz is only on one channel the rear right. I did think maybe it was picking it up along the route through the room though.

I've only heard it once on the new system, but it was identical.

Last time switching speakers to one routed a differnt way round the room, the noise still appeared on the same channel from the amp, this I felt eliminated external sources?

I will try and confirm this is the same problem.

Wonder what I was thinking about when I typed advise instead of advice?

Would disconnecting the ground give the same effect and is this wise?

--
Thanks,
M
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us