Question from the stone age

Username: Flymaster7

Post Number: 1
I'm sure this has been asked millions of times. A link to the answer from a previous thread would be appreciated. I've spent several hours online trying to get it right but, but still haven't figured it out.

I have some rather old equipment I bought on Craigslist so I don't have the owners manuals.

All I'm trying to do is connect an Insignia DVD Player (Model NS-DVD1), to a Sony Home Theater Receiver (Model STR-K402), and watch it on an old Zenith TV (Model SY2551S).

I've had no trouble getting the DVD player to work with the other pieces properly, but since the TV doesn't have any audio/video outputs, I can't figure out how to get the surround sound to work with ole' regular analog cable from a coaxial. I did what the geneiuses said at Best Buy, but haven't been successful with the cable portion. All I get is the cable picture with sound from the build-in tv speakers, not the surround sounds system. Is there some sort of adapter I can buy to make it work with a tv without audio/video outputs?

I guess another question is if there is a way to make this set-up work for cable and dvd, will it also work with the digital conversion box that is now required?

I'm sure this has been answered a zillion times...sorry for the ingorance.

Bronze Member
Username: Mike19

Tallahassee, Fla USA

Post Number: 13
Hi Jason. Welcome to the Forum.

Let me see if I have your connections right:

TV: "F" type coaxial cable in to TV (from antenna?). No connection to reciver.

DVD: analog RCA cables(red, white, yellow) to reciever or digital cable (RCA coax or optical Toslink) to receiver. Video out to TV from receiver via RCA? Or is video connected to TV from the DVD player?

You are getting surround sound and video when playing a DVD.

When watching TV you only get sound from the TV's internal speakers. This is because you have no audio connection from the TV signal going in to the receiver. If you have an old VCR lying around, run the "F" coax cable into the VCR. From the VCR run the yellow video RCA cable into the TV; OR run another 'F" coax cable from the VCR to the TV. For audio. run the red and white RCA analog audio cables from the VCR into an Aux input on the reciever.

When you get an HD TV cable box/receiver you should be able to run a digital cable (RCA coax or optical Toslink) for audio from the box into the reciever (bypassing the TV).

If you do not have a VCR you can buy one for peanuts at a donation store (like Salvation Army) or a pawn shop.

Let us know how you do.

Mike

Post Number: 2
Thanks for such a speedy reply. The set-up you described is exactly what I've got (F-type coaxial cable to TV from Cable Subscription, no cable box yet).

I'm headed out to get a VCR now, hoping it works.

Thanks very much for the help.

Jason

Post Number: 3
It works great, thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us