"I think it should be in 'dubly.'"** (D. Digital surround question.)

Username: Ninefoothoagies

Post Number: 7
(** Spinal Tap reference)

I have an ONKYO SR 304 receiver.

I have a Dolby Digital TiVo box and a Samsung Dolby Digital DVD player feeding into it via TOSlink cables, for which I've assigned optical input settings. Yet for some reason, even when the source is Dolby Digital encoded (e.g., HBO, from the TiVo box), the receiver display shows Dolby Pro Logic II output. And the same goes for the DVD player.

As far as I can tell, there are no settings on the TiVo box, a Samsung SIR S4080R--or at least no dedicated buttons on either the remote or the box itself); I've set the DVD player to PCM output. Can anyone offer any insight into the nature of my problem, and a possible cure?

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2456
­
(** Spinal Tap reference)
Best comedy movie ever.

You should set the DVD player's audio output to BITSTREAM. I would guess a similar setup change on the Tivo is in order, although I'm not familiar with the Samsung.

Username: Ninefoothoagies

Post Number: 8
Wow, you and I were probably writing our posts simultaneously! Anyhow, yeah, I figured this out last night, that PCM carries two-channel audio; I had selected the wrong data format.

Thanks so much for the assist, John!

Gotta say, DD really is a HUGE improvement over PL. And I'm quite happy with my Onkyo HTiB--so much so, that I may wait a while before I replace the front and center speakers.

Spinal Tap is a comedy!?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2457
­
"Spinal Tap is a comedy!?"

Er, sorry...documentary. Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help