Another freakin newb!!! (with many stupid questions)

Username: Sprtk

Post Number: 2
Hi all,
I am relitively new with home theater stuff.
I am in the process of setting up my system.
So far I have wall mounted a 50" Panasonic plasma with an HDMI connection to a Denon 789 reciever,
Hi def cable box, Wii game, and Panasonic blu ray.
I've just got iit all up and running and have learned the basic functions using the four supplied remotes.
Q #1
I'm considering a Logitech 890 or 1000 remote with a IR/RF repeater.
(once I become more familiar with all the controls and features of my new equipment). Any ideas?

I am running a set of 4 ohm budget speakers (pure acousics QX 900 series) with only the centre and two fronts for now . The reciever's specs call for speakers rated between 6 - 16 ohm. The manual also says that when driving 4 ohm speakers, prolonged high volumes may cause the thermal protection to shut the the unit off until it cools down.
Noted,I have the receiver installed in a great spot for added ventilation, (open cabinet back is in line with air return grate where reciever is positioned) At this point, I'm not sure if this is an issue to even be concerned with.
I read some threads here about converting 4 ohm speakers to 8 by wiring a 4 ohm resistor in series, and thus lowering the volume and load of the amp.
Q #2
Perhaps even a 2 ohm resistor would get me whithin the mfr.s spec of 6 ohm without sacrificing too much power?Should I even be concerned about this setup?
I will be setting this up as a 5.1 with the same spec. speakers and possibly adding two more to make it 7.1 later.

thanks for your input
Jim

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 767
Resistors and speakers are not the same, you will NOT be doing your receiver any favors by adding them to your system. You are way more likely to keep your receiver alive if you simply keep the volume to a dull roar. Come to think of it, you will likely be doing your ears a favor as well!!!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 768
Oh, sorry!

Regarding Q1 the look and feel of the remotes in your hand will make the biggest difference between the two Harmony's you are trying to decide between. With the 1000 you need to buy the RF extender device as an "accessory" where with the 890 it comes in the package.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us