Advice & Guidance - Sub Woofer - ASAP !

Username: Marty3

Yonkers, NY USA

Post Number: 1
Newbie Here, Go easy on me, this is my first post!
I am in need of a quick reply as Circuit City sales and inventory got me thinking.....
I currently have a Sony XBR 52" LCD which i just purchased and couldn't be happier with the picture quality. I also purchased the Sony Blu Ray player which is simply amazing.....
OK, now my dilemma. I have a 10 year old Home theatre setup consisting of a Pioneer 5.1 receiver "VSXD508" and a Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II system. All audio is connected via Optical ( no HDMI ports on receiver ) The system sounds good but lacks that deep bass sound and feel. As i visited Circuit City I noticed that they have a Polk Sub Woofer PSW125 on sale for $199.00. My question is two fold:
1) Is this a good sub woofer for my current setup ( room is 12x20 )and compatible with the Bose system?
2)Is this configuration still viable when i decide to upgrade to 7.1 receiver?

Any and all suggestions and advice are welcome !!! Thanks so much.
Best regards,
Marty

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 740
Well Martin you certainly have nailed Bose to the wall. The saying goes, No highs, no lows, must be Bose!!!
If you can get a PSW125 for $200.00 jump all over it, once you connect it to your system (using sub out of your receiver) you will wonder how in the world you ever lived without it.

Yonkers, NY USA

Post Number: 2
Jim, Thanks so much for your quick response and guidance. I guess once i purchase the sub woofer i will need to change some receiver settings such as the 5 Bose cubes will be changed to "Small" and the sub woofer will need to be turned to "on". Are there any other settings I will need to change / modify?
Best regards,
Marty

Silver Member

Post Number: 742
The settings on the subwoofer would be the only other thing you would need to concern yourself with. Info on that you can get here:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq5.html

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq6.html

Happy listening

Yonkers, NY USA

Post Number: 4
Jim, Just finsihed connecting the Polk Subwoofer ( PSW125 ) and made all my adjustments....All I can say is "OMG" what a difference. Awesome sound and now my Bose speakers sound much better at the mid to high end. I am guessing the reason for this is that I am now directing lower frequencies to the SUB and the bose no longer need to produce the lows...? Sounds logical to me. You were right Jim, I don't know how I got along all this time with just the Bose and no Sub Woofer filling the room! Looks like i do NOT need to go out and purchase a new receiver to get the sound i want!
Thanks Jim and thanks to this Board/forum for all the valuble information and help in my purchasing decision.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 748

Ah, this is what make my world go round!!! Well one of them anyway
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us