Hooking up tv, vcr, dvd-r

Username: Myersbr2

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to hook up my VCR, DVD Recorder and TV. If needed, I have an RF modulator as well. I hope the attachment will show you what is available for hookup. The black "o" indicates either a standard COAX or a white RCA connection. Ideally I want to be able to watch TV, record TV using the VCR or DVD-r, and record VHS tapes onto DVD with the DVD-r. Is this possible??? HELP!!!
application/mswordUpload
TV_DVDr_VCR_RF.doc (35.3 k)

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 734
Greetings Barry,

So you do not have a STB (cable/Satellite box)? I am also assuming you do not have any audio receiver, true? If so the quality of all of the recording is going to be pretty low but it certainly can be done.

To be able to record TV on the VCR and the DVD recorder connect both using a coax splitter to the coax IN FROM ANTENNA jacks of both machines.

From the VCR take the composite audio and video (RCA type Red/White/Yellow) the DVD recorder VIDEO IN.

From the DVD recorder you will take both composite video 1 and the Component video out to Video 4. The audio will be a little tricky but using RCA Splitters similar to these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021803 &p_id=663&seq=1&format=2

One lead needs to go to TV Video 1 and the other to TV Video 4.

Let us know how it works!!!

Post Number: 2
Hey Jim,

Thanks for this information! I think I am ALMOST there. You are correct in that this setup does NOT have a STB and no audio receiver. I am actually trying to help a family member who lives 300 miles away with this setup over email - I got the DVD, VCR, and TV setup she has upstairs fixed; this downstairs setup is a bit more complicated. :-)

I have a few additional questions to get this one completed:

1. If I'm reading your instructions correctly, I run the coax from the wall to the "in" on the splitter, then from the two outs I run one to the DVD recorder coax IN and the other to the VCR coax IN. Do I run the coax any further or does the composite/component take care of the signal to the TV from there?

2. If the answer to #1 is 'yes,' that means I will only be able to watch TV controlled through the DVD recorder, not just the using the TV, right?

3. I lost you on where the composite splitter comes in. See the attached diagram. Assuming #1 is correct, that piece is labeled, and what I understand of the VCR and DVD Recorder setup is also labeled. Can you help me the rest of the way?
application/mswordUpload
TV_DVDr_VCR_RF.doc (40.4 k)

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 735
Answer #1 : yes on all counts
Answer #2 : yes but if you wish to use the TV tuner you could get a three way splitter for the coax and run an additional cable to the TV VHF/UHF In.
Answer #3: The "composite splitter" is for the audio out of the DVD recorder.

To complete your drawing the audio RCA splitters 2 should be connected to the DVD L/R audio out then one pair of audio should go to Video 1 on the TV and the second pair to Video 4.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the quick input. I've got it figured out now, based on your instructions. I'll see if it works and let you know. Thanks again!!!

Post Number: 4
Sorry for the delay in responding. The setup we discussed works EXCEPT to allow VHS to be recorded on the DVD Recorder. Apparently, although I had the RCAs on the VCR going to the IN on the DVD Recorder, the Coax signal is all that is "seen." Basically, no matter what input I put the DVD, VCR, or TV on (or other changes I make) will allow the VCR to record on the DVD Recorder. :-( What I did to simplify the setup and make the picture a bit clearer was the attached. Would anyone have an alternative setup to what has been posted (either today or previously) that would allow the DVD Recorder to record VHS tapes? She is thrilled with the setup she has, so this feature would just be a bonus!
application/mswordUpload
TV_DVDr_VCR_no_VCR_Record.doc (44.0 k)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us