Variable Audio output and surround sound.

Username: Gjones64

Post Number: 1
I have a 40" new Toshiba HD LCD flat screen with variable output and no fixed output. My JBL surround sound is hooked up to the variable output, so turning off the tv's audio will allow the surround sound JBL to have sound but in only three speakers out of five. The front and middle speakers work but can't get sound from the rear speakers at all. What can I do?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 711
Greetings Gregg,

There is a lot of TV programming that does not have any surround information sent to the rear speakers but if in fact you are watching programming that should have surround sound then a little further information would be necessary to help you. Could you please specify the JBL surround sound model number and any receiver you might have? With this it will be easier to determine the settings that should be made to get the sound you expect to hear.

Thanks

Username: Gjones64

Post Number: 3
I do not have the info for the JBL at this time. I will get it soon. I just need to know why my Toshiba 32" HD flat screen can support the JBL surround sound and the 40" HD Toshiba won't? I mean that the 32" has a fixed output and the 40" has a variable output. The fixed output allows a complete audio from all 5 speakers whe the volume on the tv is muted andsound controlled by the JBL remote but the 40" tv has a variable output and no fixed output so the sound comes thru the two front and one center speaker only when the spekaer is turned off on the tv. Never seem to get the rear speakers to get any sound? Why? Thanks. Gregg

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 716
It may be that the variable output is not passing a Dolby 5.1 signal. Couldn't tell you why unless I know the model numbers and can look at a manual.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2440
­
Gregg, that variable audio out is a simple analog R/L output. This output cannot yield Dolby Digital surround. It's just stereo, period. The only way the TV will give you DD is via its optical output, but only with those digital broadcast, cable, and satellite channels that support DD.

If your JBL surround system doesn't have an optical input, then you'll have to live with the hookup you have now (unless you have a digital cable or satellite receiver).
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us